General Manager - Valley Pride, Inc., Castroville, CA
The General Manager will provide the leadership and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The Manager will accomplish this through a respectful, productive and energetic style, as guided by company objectives.
This executive role will report to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the business operations of Valley Pride, Inc. and JTD Equipment Leasing. This dynamic role will direct and manage the following areas;
- Field Operations
- Strategic Thinking
- Results Driven
- Business Acumen
- Decision Making
- Field Management
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to a product and service organization that mirrors the company’s mission and values. Bottom line: Continue to add innovation, operational excellence and build upon our 30-year legacy.
- Provides timely, accurate and complete reporting on the operating condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the growth objectives of our organization.
- Motivate and lead a high performance management team and provide mentoring as a cornerstone to the management career development program.
- Assist, as required, in customer meetings and visits to enable the company to meet sales, growth, and market share objectives.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment.
- Champion projects to improve internal efficiencies and provide direct benefits to our customers.
- Professionally represent the company with clients and business partners.
SCOPE OF ROLE
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all the role’s responsibilities. All of our roles include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products and service.
Duties and tasks must be planned and executed to meet crucial deadlines, efficiently serve our clients, and build the success of our programs. The following job functions are not all-inclusive and may change as required by the needs of the company.
- Manage the company’s budget from proposal to annual review with the Board of Directors.
- Management of quarterly reviews for expenses and revenues; involves work with financial counsel, as well as company’s CPA and auditing firms in the review of financial statements.
- Build dynamic programs to ensure proper management of competitive salary and benefits programs, including 401(k), profit sharing, health, life, holiday, and time off.
- Successfully lead contract negotiations:
- Equipment leases and purchases
- Carton suppliers and other packaging vendors
- Insurance agents and all types of policies
- Property leases & subleases
- Employee programs & benefits
- Cost of goods sold vendors
- Legal actions
- Professional service providers
- Licensing agencies
- Profit retention and rebates
- Oversee the development and proper implementation of company policies, including but not limited to:
- Employee handbooks
- Health and safety programs
- Compensation and benefits administration
- Policies and procedures for office operations
- Recruitment, training, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, layoffs and terminations
- Employee relations
- Prepare and review financial statements and records:
- Cost and yield reporting
- Rebates/retention schedules
- Ensure the operations maintain a profitable condition
- Oversee the acquisition and maintenance of all equipment necessary to accomplish field operations.
- Oversee the planning and execution of field operations, harvesting and field work.
- Ensure harvesting operations meet or exceed shipper quality standards.
- Ensure accurate accounting of packaged produce according to grower, venture, commodity, and variety.
- Oversee team performance in all commodities in all areas.
- Represent and communicate with external entities on behalf of the company, such as:
- Growers: regarding all harvest decisions and resulting data
- Shippers: regarding volume and quality decisions
- PCAs: regarding pest control
- Visiting governmental authorities in enforcement and regulatory actions regarding field operations & licensing
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate will follow company policies and practices while representing the company in an ethical and professional demeanor in all interactions.
- Masters or bachelor’s degree in agricultural science/economics, operational or business management, agricultural management or related field is preferred. Continuing education in supervision, safety and other job related areas.
- An experienced leader with a minimum of 5 – 7 years of progressive agricultural operations including time as an individual contributor as well as managing diverse operations. Experience as an agricultural manager responsible for multi-site operations and personnel management is highly desired. Experience in and knowledge of fresh produce is highly desired. A proven track record managing harvesting of several commodities.
- Ability to successfully motivate and lead cross-functional teams across the company, and to develop alliances and relationships with individuals and functional departments in Ocean Mist Farms and its affiliates.
- Fluent in conversational and written English-Spanish is highly desired.
- Experience hiring, training, developing, and mentoring direct reports.
- Experience developing and managing a budget.
- Proficient software skills and knowledge of cost accounting software are required, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite applications, (i.e., Excel and Word); prior Famous experience is highly desired.
- Be insurable and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Excellent physical condition particularly for extensive presence in fields.
- Personal attributes must include,
- High integrity and strong work ethics
- Flexible and able to deal with multiple tasks simultaneously
- Calm under pressure
- Excellent communicator one-on-one and in group settings
- Superior time management
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills; must exercise a high degree of initiative, discipline, judgment, discretion and decision-making. Superior organizational skills.
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively throughout multiple levels of the organization.
- Ability to look at situation, interpret all facts, and make a decision based on available information and resources.
- Ability to work in both an indoor and outdoor capacity which includes inclement weather in degrees from less than 32°F up to 90°F plus degrees. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs, push and pull horizontally, bend, lift and lower, crouch, repetitively squat stoop, reach, and walk and other physical activities associated with an outdoor, cooler and field environment. Ability to lift 60 pounds without undue physical exertion.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate verbally and comprehend verbal instructions. Requires sufficient sight and hearing to perform all duties.
- Ability to manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to carry out defined procedures with or without specific instructions, including ability to learn new duties with minimal repetition.
- Energetic forward-thinking individual with ability to maintain effective working relationships within all levels of the organization.
Headquartered in Castroville, California near Monterey Bay, Valley Pride Inc. harvests and packages crops in the Salinas Valley, Huron, Coachella, California, and Yuma, Arizona. Valley Pride, Inc. employs approximately 800 employees throughout the year. Our operations are year-round, with year-round harvesting in California and Arizona during the winter season.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.