Job Title: Assistant Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
Company: Growers Express, LLC Department: Finance
Location: Salinas Supervisor: V.P. of Accounting
Green Giant Fresh, one of the West’s finest grower/shipper of fresh vegetables, is currently looking for an Assistant Controller. The Assistant Controller is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and compliance with local, state, and governmental regulations and filings. The Assistant Controller will report directly to the V.P. of Accounting.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Coordinate & Interface with External Auditors
- Solid knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and regulations
- Understanding of multiple jurisdiction tax regulations and requirements
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, advising management on needed actions
- Work with the V.P. of Accounting to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit
- Ensure quality internal controls over financial transactions
Reporting & Processes
- Monthly budget vs. actual reporting and analysis
- Ad Hoc reporting including analysis of Key Performance Indicators
- Review costing of newly implemented Bill of Materials/Production module
- Manages and maintains company’s Chart of Accounts
- Oversee finance, accounting, and budgeting functions for discreet business lines
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Support V.P. of Accounting with special projects and workflow process improvements
- Compliance Reporting
- Treasury Management & Oversight
EducationBA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting, CPA Required
Technical Skills and Prior ExperienceAt least three years of prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area. Experience working in a professional services firm is preferred.
Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Experience with Microsoft Axapta Dynamics or other large automated accounting system a plus. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.