This position is based at the San Joaquin Valley Ranch location, near Turlock, California, but may be negotiated for remote location offsite
The position will be based at our San Joaquin Valley location and will report to the Vice President of Production.
The purpose of this position is to plan, direct and coordinate research designed to enhance quality/yield/cultural practices/growing techniques for crops with an emphasis on Strawberry and Raspberry.
- Lead, plan and execute quality research designed to enhance Strawberry and Raspberry nursery. Produce a timely, comprehensive report.
- Lead Field Monitoring at all locations. Promptly report results. Suggest actions/improvements where appropriate.
- Coordinate closely with key customers to develop agreed upon priorities and facilitate information flow.
- Inform and guide SCN clean stock program
- Maintain awareness of new trends/information regarding Strawberry/Raspberry production and crop production in general. Attend industry and academic events.
- Maintain good relationships with peers, managers, subordinates, and outside groups that would include growers and customers
- Share relevant data with the proper groups both within SCN and with growers or others as appropriate
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and experience with statistical analysis software such as JMP or SAS.
- Experience in conducting applied research is desirable.
- Strong capability with data analysis, inquisitive, and able to present information in a scientifically acceptable format.
- Experience in developing technically complex research programs effectively integrating and applying critical technologies broadly.
- Experience in defining novel research approaches to complex scientific or technical problems.
- Experience in operating in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective networks to accomplish work.
- Track record of delivering results that meet or exceed timelines.
- Experience in working effectively across functional, organizational, and cultural boundaries; is assertive in defending scientific principles.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Qualified candidate will possess an M.S degree in Horticulture/Agronomy Plant Physiology, or related field.
- Four (4) to ten (10) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to travel frequently.
The ideal candidate also brings the following:
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization's mission, vision, goals, values, and culture and desires to communicate it with others; Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Professionalism - Maintains the company's excellent image and reputation; Speaks positively of the company and our employees, clients, vendors, and professional associates; Keeps commitments; Serves the needs of the company's clients directly or by supporting other employees; Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Communication Skills - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Actively participates in meetings; Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Is able to read and interpret written information.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time
Please send resume and cover letter below.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.