Fresh Produce Industry Food Safety Manager and Responsible Sourcing Mgr.
The Quality and Food Safety Manager is responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction for company-wide product quality programs and food safety systems in a fresh produce company. Working in conjunction with operations management, this position will develop, execute, and maintain food safety and quality programs designed to assure the confidence. The position will create and implement a department budget and allocate the necessary resources to promote food safety and quality.
This person will develop data collection, analysis and reporting systems to efficiently gauge, trouble shoot and report performance.
This is a key customer-facing position for the company and will provide support with customer requirements, communications and resolution of issues.
The position reports directly to the leadership of Food Safety and works in collaboration with executive and mid-level management. The position also interacts with growers, suppliers, customers, regulators and third party auditing firms.
PROFESSIONAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Implement and manage all aspects of our food safety and HACCP programs and be prepared to pass any third-party food safety audit, any day
· Maintain compliance with FDA Food Facility Registration
· Design and implement food safety training program for appropriate personnel
· Work the sourcing team to verify grower/vendor compliance with all aspects of food safety protocols and FSMA mandates
· Develop and maintain records, manuals and standard operating procedures for food safety and systems in accordance with industry standards
· Implement and oversee Recall/Traceability program
· Respond to customer requests for food safety documentation
· Responsible for the development, implementation and continued enhancement of standard operating procedures and food safety systems across all packing, warehousing, transportation, and vendor supply operations.
· Manage, develop, and mentor the food safety team.
· Implement regular reviews of performance and trends at all operating locations as well as corporate reviews in conjunction with operations, sales and marketing.
· Work with the company’s management and food safety team members to ensure proper training. Brief senior management, food safety team and staff through regularly held food safety management meetings.
· Educate and monitor growers that supply company’s raw products in the area of GAP programs, risk assessment / mitigation and Preventive Control programs.
· Serve as company’s technical specialist to help customers find solutions to food safety and quality-related issues.
· Develop and regularly monitor and validate the company’s various PC processes.
· Serve as the external quality and food safety representative for the company. Develop a professional relationship with quality and food safety management of key customers and support customer visits.
· Monitor and evaluate impact of new or revised food safety legislation, regulations or standards.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Oversee the responsible sourcing program.
EDUCATION & SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS:
· An undergraduate degree in or experience in microbiology, food science, Ag, or a related field is required.
· A minimum of three (3) years related experience; first-hand knowledge of the fresh produce industry.
· Knowledge of HACCP, FDA GAP/GMP requirements and GFSI certification mandatory.
· Familiarity with global food safety initiative audits and standards (e.g. Primus GFS, SQF, GlobalGAP, etc.).
· Knowledge of food borne disease and food borne disease epidemiology.
· Experience overseeing multiple locations strongly desired to be independently drive a food safety program.
· Exceptional verbal, written and presentation communication skills with the ability to communicate and interact with customers, consumers and regulatory officials.
· Bilingual with fluency in English and Spanish is very highly preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.