Capital City Fruit Co.
Since 1949, Capital City Fruit has been delivering exceptional fresh produce with exceptional customer service. The mission of Capital City Fruit is to source, pack, and deliver exceptional fresh produce When you want it, Where you want it, and How you want it. We are a 3rd generation family business with professional leadership and a plan to build upon our growth of the last 65 years. Learn more about us at http://www.capitalcityfruit.com/
Summary of Position
The Purchasing Manager is responsible for the team that sources products for CCF customers and consumer packs. The position will also lead, coach and direct the work of the CCF Buyers and related administrative staff. The position manages all of the necessary processes and procedures related product procurement, sourcing, pricing and grower/supplier relationships. Additional tasks will also be given to this position as needed which provides a variety of work that is both challenging and fun!
THE OPPORTUNITY - The right person in this position:
- Will lead a segment of the business that significantly drives the growth and profitability of the entire company.
- Will be a leader in a preeminent produce distribution company that is healthy, vibrant, highly respected and growing.
- Be a part of a leadership team that is professional, talented, young and energetic.
- Will develop and grow as a business leader…we grow our people.
- Can live in Des Moines, IA Metro area – ranked as one of the best places to live in the Midwest http://www.catchdesmoines.com/media/des-moines-rankings/
- Lead procurement from our new state of the art 82,000 sq. ft. facility
- Can work for a company that is stable, progressive and environmentally-conscious!
Capital City Fruit has a well-regarded reputation in the industry (Business Character Award from Red Book, an industry credit rating publication). Company Culture is a unique combination of a small family business and a professionally run corporation.
- Hire, develop and lead a customer centric team to purchase all products for CCF.
- Ensure base pricing of all products that is competitive and achieves margin goals.
- Achieve company objectives for margins, quality, inventory turns and shrink.
- Build a strategic, sustainable grower network in the US, Europe and Canada that is redundant and dispersed geographically.
- Develop a corporate purchasing strategy that stays ahead of the competition and is aligned with CCF corporate strategy.
- Ensure that in depth relationships are built with grower decision makers of every size that are equitable, professional and committed. Market the CCF value proposition to growers and grower prospects to ensure long term relationships that are competition resistant.
- Provide regular product performance and customer feedback to growers. Resolve grower issues quickly and fairly.
- Meet with growers regularly to stay aligned with their direction and strategies and to ensure the growers understand CCF’s direction and expectations.
- Ensure grower agreements are adhered to by both growers and CCF. Approve new CCF grower agreements in conjunction with the food safety team and VP of procurement.
- Collaborate and communicate with CCF sales, quality and operations on supply, supply issues and inventory levels. Work across departments to resolve grower issues quickly and prudently.
- Develop structured systems, disciplined processes and clear metrics for all aspects of procurement.
- Identify and communicate new grower and product opportunities to Senior Management.
- Prepare department budgets and action plans to achieve corporate objectives.
- Communicate results, key metrics and grower strategies to CCF management on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of Produce Industry experience – knows the industry players and the rotation of seasonal growing areas
- 2 to 5 plus years of Purchasing experience – a perishable product – must have experience in purchasing fresh produce
- 3+ years of direct supervision experience:
- Staffing, coaching, evaluating, reviewing and scheduling
Anticipated hours per week: 40-50 (Hours are cyclical based on product demand and overtime may be required)
Compensation and Benefits
This will be a salaried position with a performance based bonus of 10-20% of base pay. There is a 401k plan with match and a company profit sharing contribution. Health insurance, life insurance and dental insurance are also available along with vacation and paid holidays. Relocation assistance can be provided if applicable.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.