Under general direction of the VP of Sales this individual is responsible for work involving all aspects in connection with the Sales and Marketing departments. In addition to assisting with various aspects of programs, presentations, and project coordination, this individual will support key business projects that execute against category plans, strategies, and tactical initiatives. They will assist with executing against objectives and project plans that ensure the company’s goal for the successful completion of the program / project are completed and the customer’s needs are met.
Principle Functions: The main function of the Category Manager is to help lead in executing against key initiatives that support overall company growth and financial objectives. This includes, however, is not limited to, updates in customer meetings, coordination of information between the customer and the company, and execution of daily marketing functions, supporting standard reporting needs, presentations and project coordination.
- Providing clients with customer focused insights regarding the product and category.
- Creating and developing a long term plan and strategy for development of the category.
- Driving category relationships with the customers.
- Becoming a leader in category ranging, pricing and promotions across customer channels.
- Leading category management projects to optimize ranges and related merchandising.
- Working alongside customer and account teams to translate customer insights into strategies which drive performance.
- Managing a large portfolio of different brands and developing appropriate strategies for each.
- Developing strong working relationships with buying, marketing and merchandising teams is essential.
- Utilize analysis tools to make recommendations for development of category plans and meeting strategic initiatives.
- Manages test programs and makes recommendations for successful completion of project / program.
- Implement new product/program initiatives. Communicate cross-functionally and externally key timelines. Design and write programs and procedures. Organize and monitor program tests. Modify tests as needed. Roll out programs (for financial and operational success) critical to achieving our strategic plan.
- Drives projects and teams to successfully execute marketing strategies and objectives.
- Work cross-functionally to execute initiatives. Drive and communicate initiatives through the organization as needed. Coordinate Safeway functions and solicit feedback from operations. Write communication pieces and presentations as well as collect and present data.
- Leads communication and coordination of details of program within the organization with a wide range of functions and individuals. Act as an internal and external liaison to coordinate literature / results of marketing tests, objectives and publications.
- Completes internal work to insure quality / service levels are met. Work with QA, cross functionally and with distribution center to ensure vendors meet standards and to determine actions in case of a quality or service concern.
- Provides continuing product surveillance and support of established product to obtain financial objectives.
- Resolve issues. Resolve related category issues and concerns for customers. Create contingency plans in the event products or service standards are not met.
- Maintain and develop existing and new customers through planned individual account support and act as a liaison both internally and with the customer.
- Carry out market research, competitor and customer surveys.
- A demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement, productivity, and dedication to job longevity.
- Education/Experience: A combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance.
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in food marketing or a related business discipline
- Experience within related discipline or course study required.
- Knowledge: Principles, practices, and methods of modern marketing; practices in operations procedures. Knowledge of PC, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Publisher and MS Power Point.
- Planning, coordinating, and leading programs and presentations.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Communicating clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Exceptional communication, analytical and organizational skills, as well as be detail oriented.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, adapts well to change
- Must be able to prioritize multiple work assignments.
- Must be able to function well within a team and independently
- Possesses the ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor.
The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, detail oriented and able to work independently.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.