PROCUREMENT / FRESH PRODUCE BUYER
We are an independent fresh produce wholesaler looking for a Produce Buyer to join our dynamic team. This is a career position for someone with enhanced knowledge and expertise in the produce industry. This position is responsible for purchasing fresh produce commodities direct from all major growing regions.
Buyers are responsible for sourcing at the lowest possible price, while maintaining the highest of quality standards. Strong FOB buying and negotiating skills required. The right candidate must have excellent computer skills, be a great communicator, have a positive attitude, be resilient, and be able to work with diverse personalities.
Our business is open 7 days a week, so a flexible schedule is a must. Affiliation with successful produce or perishable food distribution companies is required. Bi-Lingual in Spanish is a plus. This position requires routine walking, standing, bending and working 15% - 20% in refrigerated coolers. Candidates must also be able to lift or move up to 50 lbs. Background check and drug testing required.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Responsible for a select group of commodities which may include, but not limited to produce, dairy, frozen, dry, and other refrigerated items as customer demand dictates.
- Determine which commodities, services and growing regions best meet and exceed our customers’ expectations.
- Negotiate the lowest possible cost, and award daily business and/or contracts that ensure the correct amount of product or service is received at the appropriate time.
- Establish a market earned income strategy by item. Build and strengthen relationships within the vendor and the customer communities.
- Buyers responsible for retail items will gather costing information to effectively quote retailers’ weekly Ads in a timely manner.
- Maintain communication lines with sales team to promote and push the sale of products to minimize spoilage.
- Review and study sales reports and maintain inventory levels to maximize sales, and minimize spoilage.
- Identify domestic and foreign suppliers within all major growing regions in order to keep abreast of changes which affect both the supply and demand sides of our business. Orders placed from various growing regions will be coordinated with other team buyers to build full truckloads in order to maximize inbound freight costs. Buyers are responsible for identifying the best freight carriers for the company at the lowest possible rates.
- Continue to expand product knowledge through the use of educational tools available (books, mentors, Websites).
- Set up and participate in Vendor reviews
- Participate in process improvements and promotes teamwork.
- Other projects and duties as assigned by the VP
This position requires the evaluation of suppliers based upon quality, price, service support, reliability, availability, and product selection. Identify primary, secondary and supplemental vendors for the sourcing and procurement if items. Monitor and manage supplier agreements, contract parameters, and base costs for customers requiring weekly pricing.
- Strong FOB buying and negotiating skills required.
- Must have excellent computer skills
- Must be a great communicator and have a positive attitude
- Must be resilient, and be able to work with diverse personalities.
- Affiliation with successful produce or perishable food distribution companies is required.
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain inter-department relationships are critical for success.
We offer a full benefit package including health insurance and a 401k.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.