L.A. Hearne Company, a family owned and operated agricultural service business, is seeking a motivated individual with accounting background for a full-time position as a staff accountant with the opportunity to transition to a Company Controller position. This is a responsibility based position for an individual with high integrity who will oversee accounting functions for the 7 Company enterprises.
Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business degree with emphasis in accounting
- Course work in job costing is recommended
- Highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data
- Skilled in the use of spreadsheets
- Good writing and verbal skills
- Accuracy and ability to detect errors
- Excellent work habits
- Problem solver with the ability to take complex situations and find solutions
- Results oriented with the desire to complete projects on a timely basis even if it involves extra hours to do so
- Ability to work with several Division Managers and office staff
- Not afraid to ‘roll up sleeves’ and help wherever necessary
- Results oriented
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in accounting is required
- Maintain financial reports, records, and general leger
- We have 12 enterprises that require a P&L and cost accounting for each
- Maintain fixed assets and associated depreciation schedules
- Maintain vehicle licenses and schedules
- Manage bank reconciliation
- Oversee sales and payroll taxes
- Coordinate with Office Manager for staff needs
- Maintain records, reports, and distribution of 1098 & 1099 forms
- Prepare and maintain business property tax forms
- Assist in tracking and maintaining Company insurance policies
- Responsible for inventory tracking and adjustments
- Cross trained in all office staff positions
- Monitor and report Accounts Receivable
- Delinquencies, posting problems, and proper crediting to accounts
- Manage various financial and employment audits throughout the year
- Coordinate and facilitate year-end financial data with 3rd party accounting auditors
- Perform other accounting, financial, or administrational as required
- Interact with, and take direction from, the CFO
L.A. Hearne Company is a diverse agricultural service business that is family owned and operated. It was established in 1938 by founders, Larry and Irene Hearne. The Company is managed by 8 third generation family members has approximately 125 employees. Our Main Facility is in King City, CA with several other locations within 60 miles from its hub.
The Company continues to expand and grow. Our Division mix is made up of products and/or services that are sold to or purchased from growers. The Company operates 7 Divisions composed of 13 enterprises.
- Dry beans
- Manufacturing and sales
- Wholesale Distribution
- Metz feed production
- Diverse fleet with over 40 power units and a variety of trailer types
- Trailer leasing
Retail Farm Stores
• King City and Prunedale, CA with a diverse inventory of farm, feed, and fencing and livestock supplies, as well as pet supplies and western wear.
• Lease of Company fixed assets not necessary for short term Company use
• Full staff for repair, maintenance and construction of Company facilities, equipment and assets
• Maintains all records and staff support for other divisions
During 2017 we will be adding over 70,000 square ft of building coverage to facilitate our growth.
We are seeking a talented individual with the desire to grow beginning as a staff accountant with the desire to promote to the position of Controller over a measured period of time.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.