CMI Orchards is seeking an experienced food safety professional for a newly created Technical Director of Food Safety position. Our ideal candidate will have the ability to develop, continually refine, implement and monitor science-based packinghouse food safety programs and communicate them clearly to a wide range of audiences including senior management, food safety managers, packinghouse sanitation crews, customers and auditing agencies.
The Technical Director of Food Safety is dedicated to ensuring the highest level of product integrity and food safety of our many products. This position is charged with the overall responsibility for the continued development, maintenance and implementation of a comprehensive Food Safety Program. The Technical Director of Food Safety will attend all relevant Food Safety seminars and help implement revisions as necessary to achieve operational objectives of excellence in Food Safety.
The Technical Director of Food Safety will monitor the food safety programs at each packinghouse working closely with the food safety managers and sanitation crews at each facility to ensure that they are in continual compliance with the comprehensive food safety program. The Technical Director of Food Safety will assist individual packers with training and performance management.
Overall job functions:
Facilitate continuous improvement of all food safety programs.
Develop and implement best practices for GAP, GMP, SSOP, HARPC and HACCP programs.
Familiar with SQF and Global Gap standards and certification.
Monitor and verify CMI Food Safety Program compliance and effectiveness.
Confirm Packinghouses audit corrective action plans are implemented.
Develop a relationship with key industry technical leaders, including Northwest Horticultural Council, NWFPA, IFPA, United Fresh Food Safety, PMA, Governmental agencies, Universities, etc.
Provide leadership and education relating to local, state and federal guidelines on produce safety.
Monitor compliance with FSMA rules and regulations on Domestic and Imported fruit which include:
Preventive Controls for Human Food
FSVP-Foreign Supplier Verification Program
Sanitary Transportation of Human Food
Assist growers in achieving compliance with Food Safety Programs through field training and auditing.
Coordinate with each packinghouses food safety managers to ensure the Pesticide Use Records are available for all growers and that water and fruit sample collections for contamination and pesticide residue are completed.
Review and Verify Packer and CMI Trace back/Recall procedures
Respond to customer food safety related concerns and complaints with corrective action reports.
Assist (as needed) with governmental and customer third party audits.
Be the Food Safety “face” of the Company with retailers, wholesalers, and other customers
Build confidence in the Company’s Food Safety Program
- Minimum 3 years of experience in food safety assurance within a manufacturing environment.
- B.S. in Micro Biology, Food Science or related discipline required; advanced degree (MS, PhD) preferred.
- Experience with audits at the packinghouse and/or grower level.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations and training seminars.
- Data analysis and technical problem solving experience.
- Experience with processing facility sanitation preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective collaboration and relationship building skills.
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
- Microsoft Office computer skills
- Knowledge of laws & regulations regarding Food Safety and agricultural chemicals
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred, but not required
- Experience with “Test and Hold” programs preferred, but not required.
Please send resume and letter of interest to:
President of CMI
2525 Euclid Ave
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.