The Workers' Compensation Manager is responsible for managing and supporting the company’s Workers' Compensation program. The Manager will have the independence and discretion to develop and manage the Workers' Compensation program responsibilities, Modified Work programs, and a Return to Work program.
The position requires a proactive individual with strong judgment and deep knowledge of the relevant regulations and intricacies of Workers' Compensation programs, and the ability to apply this knowledge to the creation and implementation of innovative, forward thinking policies. The individual will also be effective in their use of outcome data to adapt the program to deliver the best results. The Manager must also be an effective communicator within all areas the company, local, state and federal agencies as well as being available to assist employees with their claims issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and review open claim files for compliance with claims handling guidelines to include initial claim handling, investigation, medical management and overall file management
- Develop and implement a complete workers’ compensation policies and procedures
- Communicate with TPA, injured employees, physicians and attorneys
- Work with service providers on fee structure to achieve the best value for service
- Participation in Settlement Negotiations, recommend and negotiate claim settlements
- Analyzes claims and loss control data to identify risk tendencies and prevention
- Participate with Senior Management in analyzing insurance renewal proposal
- Responsible for assisting departments in the determination of appropriate Modified Duty and early Return-to-Work program.
- Be available and accessible to injured employees to help provide information on claims.
- Ensure compliance to applicable laws and regulations while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Maintain OSHA injury/illness records (300A, 300, 301)
- Collect and provide injury and illness data in response to BKS Injury and Illness mandatory collections processes
- Conducts classroom training at different company job sites for foreman and supervisors regarding risk management
- Participation in insurance carrier sponsored lost control meetings and committees
- Work with HR managers and Field personnel to develop job descriptions.
- Translate workers compensation related documents and information as directed from English to Spanish.
- May be called up to assist HR department in carrying out various human resources programs and procedures for all company employees.
Must be able to work independently with excellent attention to detail a must. Knowledge of Workers Compensation, labor law and ADA laws, office methods, practices and equipment; knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing; initiative to develop new procedures to make office work flow processes more efficient; computer literate in Microsoft Office, i.e. Word, Excel; ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- AA degree or higher preferred. A minimum of five years of experience in managing workers compensation claims and litigated claims management. In-depth knowledge of the workers’ compensation industry and associated claims systems. Agricultural experience preferred.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish required.
- Strong analytical/numbers capabilities and problem-solving capabilities.
- Travel required, about 30%
- Driving for long periods.
- Staying at hotel/motel for indeterminate periods of time.
- Flying to destinations as necessary.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Outside work requiring walking and standing in fields in all weather conditions.
- Light to moderate lifting (up to 40 pounds).
- Reaching, stooping, pulling, pushing and manual dexterity.
- Operating a computer, calculator, copier and typewriter involves repetitive hand arm movement.
- Entering data by touch requires the ability to hear computer alarms for errors.
Must be able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions. Must be able to deal politely with outside customers and vendors,
Communication with other staff members involves making contact orally, via the telephone, electronic correspondence or in person.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.