The Safety Specialist will support the execution and implementation of Ocean Mist Farms and affiliate Safety & Workers’ Compensation programs. Coordinates and implements safety, injury and illness prevention programs, conducts related training, investigates accidents and identifies possible causes, recommends corrective action, and provides general safety support to management. This role requires a strong presence at all our field, cooler and plant operations.
SCOPE OF ROLE
• Serve as a resource for Safety, Workers’ Compensation and Employee Relations policies with managers and employees; and a resource for corporate, federal, state and local regulatory compliance
• Coordination and administration of company safety programs to include, but not limited to, the Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Emergency Action Plan & Evacuation Procedures, Hazard Communication, Tractor Safety, Forklift Safety, and Accident & Injury Response and Procedures.
• Inspect and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices, in order to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
• Develop, conduct and facilitate safety training, certification and education programs, and demonstrate the use of safety equipment and machinery.
• Collaborate with safety management, maintenance, facilities and respective departments to institute control and remedial measures for hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions or equipment.
• Investigate accidents to identify causes or determine how to prevent recurrence, make recommendations for corrective action and provide follow up related training.
• Provide support role with environmental plans and ensure compliance with programs required by the Company and any other county, state and federal regulatory programs.
• Investigate accidents, identify root causes, determine corrective and/or preventative action and ensure all described actions are completed.
• Provide on-boarding safety orientations to newly hired or promoted employees and develop materials for these presentations.
• Assist with Post Injury Management with Return-to-Work interactive process with injured employee(s), supervisor and Workers Compensation Manager.
• Lead periodic site inspections, annual safety compliance audit, and assist with governmental inspections and/or third-party audits.
• Serve as a resource for Safety, Workers’ Compensation and Employee Relations policies with managers and employees.
• Manage Motor Vehicle Record Driver Program, Random DOT Drug Testing and administer authorized driver Pull Program with Samba Safety software program.
• Serve as a member of the safety board meetings and activities.
• Support all aspects of Human Resources team activities or execute other projects or process improvements as assigned.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelors Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Human Resources, or related field preferred but not required. Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is highly desired.
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years experience related in safety, workers’ compensation and human resources, preferably in an agricultural environment. Strong knowledge of current OSHA regulations, IIPP and compliance requirements.
• Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish is required. This includes reading, writing legibly and communicating clearly and concisely. Must be able to communicate issues in a constructive manner and handle difficult and/or confidential situations in a professional and confidential manner.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications and other HRIS systems is required. Familiarity of Famous is highly desired.
• Valid class “C” California Driver’s license is required and must be insurable; possess or ability to obtain a valid passport for international unrestricted travel to Mexico is highly desired.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.