The Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for managing the QA activities in Castroville and all satellite locations. Primary duties include, but not limited to; upholding Ocean Mist Farms product standards, overseeing all inspections, maintaining accurate reporting and monitoring outside services. This role will work under general supervision; supervise others, including and up to, providing employee feedback, disciplinary communication, performance reviews and training.
SCOPE OF ROLE
The qualified candidate will be an effective advocate and, at all times, maintain a professional image that supports Ocean Mist Farms values, image and goals. A strong work ethic, unsurpassed integrity, confidentiality, punctuality, and job dedication is essential to be successful in this position.
Oversee and Control all In-House Inspections and Reporting
- Maintain quality standards in our production and cooling processes; including all pack styles.
- Develop quality standards for new products.
- Oversee shelf life studies and ensure their follow through from start to final reporting.
- Daily inspections for each commodity and lot.
- Five-day and other aging-related inspections and reporting.
- Daily reporting within the company regarding pack, appearance, color and condition.
- Maintain a database for average reporting as required monthly, seasonally and by harvester.
- Hire and evaluate internal QA team.
- Train, mentor and develop QA team.
- Advocate quality from field – cooling – shipping.
- Monitor and interface with outside inspectors and published reporting services.
- In collaboration with the food safety department uphold and apply food safety standards at all times.
- Lead and act as the chairperson of the quality steering committee. In addition, participate on the carton team, food safety, and other committees as assigned.
- Administer and drive the quality incentive program.
- Work with the Product Development Manager as requested to create new products.
- Work with the marketing department to give tours and prepare customer product presentation set up.
- Set up training and educate field crews, supervisors and other personnel on proper handling of our products with quality and food safety in mind.
- Organize public demonstrations of our products such as fair exhibits and trade shows.
- Prepare annual departmental budget.
- Respond to and provide rejection reporting from the sales department.
- Ensure fulfillment of product for the sales department.
- Maintain and update product records as required.
- Document and update the Quality Assurance manual with changes, updates, and new products specifications.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
- BA/BS in management, food science, quality assurance or related field is preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in a quality assurance operation. Experience in the agricultural industry is a must and direct experience in the fresh produce sector is highly desirable.
- 3-5 years staff management experience is required.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish is required.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Advanced working knowledge of Famous, Excel and Word.
- Knowledge of GMP’s, HACCP, GAP and Food Safety gained through education and at least 1-year experience working with food manufacturing.
- Able to correctly use radio frequency hand held devices is required.
- Ability to operate a company vehicle; must maintain a valid class C California drivers license, and be insurable is required.
- Majority of time spent working outdoors, often sitting, walking, standing, kneeling, turning, reaching, climbing stairs for long periods of time; ability to lift 35+ pounds without undue physical exertion; ability to work in an office, cooler and field environment with an average range between 33 degrees and 110+ degrees.
- Ability to travel and work in the field, cooler and office environments.
- Ability to communicate, comprehend verbal and written instructions; requires sufficient sight and hearing to perform all duties; Ability to learn new duties with minimal repetition; strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to carry out defined procedures with specific instructions; ability to manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills including; ability to maintain effective working relationships with Employees, Peers, Supervisors, Vendors and Customers.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.