D’Arrigo Bros. Co., of California is a ninety-five year old, rapidly growing Salinas based agricultural company. We are one of the largest vegetable grower, packer and shippers, and we offer opportunities with excellent benefits and compensation. Since we are a technologically aggressive organization, a strong knowledge of Excel, Word and Windows is required.
Andy Boy has a rich history as an industry trend-setter, not a follower. From the day the company was founded by Stephen and Andrew D’Arrigo, two immigrants from Messina, Sicily, innovation has been its hallmark. With third generation D’Arrigo family members at the helm of our West Coast operations, you can be sure that the traditions of being the very best in the business emanate from the top and are carried out by our dedicated family of almost 2000 employees. Would you like to join this team?
TITLE - Labor Relations Manager
DUTIES – Responsible for employee relations and labor relations. These functions include responsibility for developing, interpreting and recommending program goals and objectives, policies and procedures, and courses of action. Responsible for managing the employee relations activities according to established guidelines and sound administrative practices and in accordance with the organization's mission, values and goals. The work involves interpreting and administering employee contracts regarding employee grievances, wages, employee welfare, healthcare benefits, pension benefits and union practices. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Northern Operations.
• Good business practices.
• Sound techniques in all aspects of personnel management.
• General personnel regulations and procedures.
• Must possess a strong foundation of knowledge in areas such as economics, labor law, and the collective bargaining process.
• Familiarity with contract language all pertinent federal and state regulations including DOL, OSHA, FLSA, etc.
• Operation of standard office equipment, including personal computers, photocopier, fax machines and appropriate software such as Windows, Word and Excel.
• Bilingual English/Spanish required.
• A working knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation system in California along with familiarity of required safety programs.
• Interpret and apply provisions of several union contracts and agreements. Ensures the company complies with the collective bargaining agreements.
• Participate in and advise management on negotiating collective bargaining agreements with the union including health insurance, assignment of duties, grievances, seniority, and enforcement of work, health and safety rules.
• Investigate problems such as working conditions, disciplinary actions, and employee and applicant appeals and grievances. Provides guidance and recommendations for problem resolution to departmental officials and individuals. Assure timeliness and accuracy of required filings.
• Answer any questions and/or requests by DOL, OSHA and other governmental agencies, including employee complaints. Represents the company at hearings.
• Stay current on recent federal, state and case law changes and monitor labor law updates and newsletters for changes that affect the company.
• Prepare and present required and special reports.
• Manage grievance procedures including oversight of dispute resolution involving employees, management, unions, government agencies, other firms, etc.
• Advise the Payroll/HR staff to ensure compliance with the union contract.
• Prepare paperwork related to labor relations assignments.
• Provide guidance to field supervision in the administration and enforcement of work, health and safety rules.
• Prepare and distribute all federal, state and other postings to all operations in the company and enforce retention and availability for all employees.
• Provide training and support to management to professionally conduct their duties in operating their respective departments, operations and crews.
• Interact, protect and represent D’Arrigo Bros. Co., of California and its interests with government agencies.
• Investigate any allegations of sexual harassment and take corrective action as necessary.
• Provide sexual harassment training to all D’Arrigo management personnel including training on bullying and hostile work environment.
• Manage and review open claim files for compliance with claims handling guidelines to include initial claim handling, investigation, medical management and overall file management.
• Communicate with TPA, injured employees, physicians and attorneys.
• Participate in Settlement Negotiations, recommend and negotiate claim settlements.
• Analyze claims and loss control data to identify risk tendencies and prevention.
• Participate with Senior Management in analyzing insurance renewal proposal.
• Responsible for assisting departments in the determination of appropriate Modified Duty and early Return-to-Work program.
• Be available and accessible to injured employees to help provide information on claims.
• Ensure compliance to applicable laws and regulations while maintaining a high level of customer service.
• Maintain OSHA injury/illness records (300A, 300, 301).
• Collect and provide injury and illness data in response to BKS Injury and Illness mandatory collections processes.
• Conduct classroom training at different company job sites for foremen and supervisors regarding risk management.
• Participate in insurance carrier sponsored lost control meetings and committees.
• Develop and maintain documentation to ensure ongoing knowledge and transfer of knowledge of all business critical operations applications and processes.
• Develop long-term plans and programs for the department and individuals; evaluate work accomplishments.
• Review the progress of work in the department. Ensure that staff questions are answered, decisions acted upon and problems resolved. Ensure proper distribution of assignments and responsibilities.
• Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed. Evaluate and revise internal processes and policies to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
• Provide customer service support to external customers and internal customers including foremen and supervisors.
• Monitor spending, purchasing and fiscal activity of the department.
• BA/BS in Ag Econ, Ag Business Management, Business Administration, Human Resources
• Experience working in a union environment
• Minimum 5-7 years of proven management experience in labor relations, preferably in an agricultural environment (harvesting and field operations).
• Must be an effective hands-on manager capable of resolving organizational, training, communication, and interpersonal problems that may arise.
• Must possess solid knowledge on employee rights and employer responsibilities arising under federal and state laws, including the National Labor Relations Act, the California Agricultural Labor Relations Act, California and Arizona Wage and Hour Law, and any other laws that regulate or affect employers in Agricultural industry.
• Competencies include business acumen, communication, consultation, critical evaluation, ethical practice, cultural awareness and leadership.
• Knowledge of Microsoft desktop products including strong knowledge and experience with Excel and Word
• Excellent customer service skills on the phone and in person
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively present facts and recommendations in oral and written form
• Ability to keep skill set current
• Organized team player who works well with a variety of people with a minimum of supervision
• Thrive in a fast paced environment and handle pressure while managing multiple tasks
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on proposals
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; to gather and analyze information skillfully
• Knowledge of company policies and procedures is preferred
• Regular and consistent attendance mandatory
• Work schedule may include OT and weekends
• Valid drivers license and clean record
• Seasonal overnight travel required to Yuma, AZ / Brawley, CA
Please send your resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.