D’Arrigo Bros. Co., of California is a ninety-five year old, rapidly growing Salinas based agricultural company. We are one of the largest vegetable grower, packer and shippers, and we offer opportunities with excellent benefits and compensation. Since we are a technologically aggressive organization, a strong knowledge of Excel, Word and Windows is required.
Andy Boy has a rich history as an industry trend-setter, not a follower. From the day the company was founded by Stephen and Andrew D’Arrigo, two immigrants from Messina, Sicily, innovation has been its hallmark. With third generation D’Arrigo family members at the helm of our West Coast operations, you can be sure that the traditions of being the very best in the business emanate from the top and are carried out by our dedicated family of almost 2000 employees. Would you like to join this team?
TITLE - Safety Manager
DUTIES – Responsible for company-wide safety and risk management programs. These functions include responsibility for developing, interpreting and recommending program goals and objectives, policies and procedures, and courses of action. Responsible for managing the employee safety activities according to established guidelines and sound administrative practices and in accordance with the organization's mission, values and goals. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Northern Operations.
• Good business practices.
• Sound techniques in all aspects of personnel management.
• General personnel regulations and procedures.
• Must possess a strong foundation of knowledge in safety along with all pertinent federal and state regulations including DOL, OSHA, FLSA, etc.
• Operation of standard office equipment, including personal computers, photocopier, fax machines and appropriate software such as Windows, Word and Excel.
• Bilingual English/Spanish required.
• A working knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation system in California along with familiarity of required safety programs.
• Identify, analyze and control occupational hazards.
• Guide, train and advise company supervisors and managers in recognizing employee and employer rights and responsibilities and in establishing and maintaining positive employee safety programs.
• Responsible for understanding critical safety issues and developing sound recommendations that result in the effective management of the people assets of the organization.
• Provide safety leadership and inspire a safety culture that creates a safe work environment throughout the organization.
• Manage comprehensive and compliant employee safety-training program that relates to our entire operation.
• Effective overall management and implementation of safety inspections of all harvesting and field operations, shop and plant operations.
• Provide annual reports to Monterey County Environmental Health Department in all aspects of ranch properties, chemical inventories, and management personnel.
• Answer any questions and/or requests by DOL, OSHA and other governmental agencies, including employee complaints. Represent the company at hearings.
• Prepare and present required and special reports as needed.
• Oversee and enforce the trash and recycling program in Salinas operations including a personal weekly audit over all field operations.
• Oversee and administrate the safety program at D’Arrigo Bros. Co., of California. This would include issuance of personal protective equipment, safety training and documentation, design and execution of our safety incentive program. Work with vendors in designing safety incentive awards, communicating, budgeting and distribution.
• Budget and carry out the safety bar-b-que program for field operations biannually.
• Investigate all vehicle accidents. Prepare a report and provide all necessary information for insurance carrier to fulfill its duty both honestly and expeditiously.
• Carry out the annual DOT drug-testing program. Work with the clinic, laboratory, medical review officer and Highway Patrol.
• Administer the Employer Pull Notice Program through the state of California including registration of all commercial new hires and class C drivers. Monitor printouts and point evaluations.
• Oversee the annual BIT inspection in regards to Company’s commercial personnel with their proper documentation. Provide all documentation of the drug-testing program.
• Coordinate and execute annual corporate office evacuation in conjunction with the shipping/cooling facility.
• Communicate with injured employees and management.
• Be available and accessible to injured employees to help provide information on claims.
• Ensure compliance to applicable laws and regulations while maintaining a high level of customer service.
• Conduct classroom training at different company job sites for foremen and supervisors regarding risk management.
• Develop and maintain documentation to ensure ongoing knowledge and transfer of knowledge of all business critical operations applications and processes.
• Develop long-term plans and programs for the department and individuals; evaluate work accomplishments.
• Review the progress of work in the department. Ensure that staff questions are answered, decisions are acted upon and problems are resolved. Ensure proper distribution of assignments and responsibilities.
• Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed. Evaluate and revise internal processes and policies to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
• Provide customer service support to external customers and internal customers including foremen and supervisors.
• Monitor spending, purchasing and fiscal activity of the department.
• BA/BS in Ag Econ, Ag Business Management, Business Administration
• Experience working in a union environment a plus
• Minimum 5-7 years of proven management experience in safety, preferably in an agricultural environment (harvesting and field operations).
• Must be an effective hands-on manager capable of resolving organizational, training, communication, and interpersonal problems that may arise.
• Competencies include business acumen, communication, consultation, critical evaluation, ethical practice, cultural awareness and leadership.
• Knowledge of Microsoft desktop products including strong knowledge and experience with Excel and Word
• Excellent customer service skills on the phone and in person
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively present facts and recommendations in oral and written form
• Ability to keep skill set current
• Organized team player who works well with a variety of people with a minimum of supervision
• Thrive in a fast paced environment and handle pressure while managing multiple tasks
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on proposals
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; to gather and analyze information skillfully
• Knowledge of company policies and procedures is preferred
• Regular and consistent attendance mandatory
• Work schedule may include OT and weekends
• Valid drivers license and clean record
• Seasonal overnight travel required to Yuma, AZ / Brawley, CA
Please send your resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.