JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Organic Farm Certification Service Specialist
Position will remain open until filled.
CCOF Certification Services, LLC (CCOF) is seeking a Farm Certification Service Specialist to work in the Santa Cruz, California office performing tasks related to organic farm certification. The person in this position will work within CCOF’s rapidly expanding USDA National Organic Program and internationally accredited organic certification program.
CCOF is one of the oldest and largest organic certification organizations in the U.S. and works to promote organic production through certification, education, and outreach programs. More information is available at www.ccof.org.
Applicants must be able to work in a fast-paced office environment with significant job responsibilities. This job requires knowledge of organic production practices, and the ability to work both independently and as a team with other professionals. The job also requires customer service skills, the ability to manage data, and to work within a regulatory environment. And, this position will require Spanish language skills sufficient to communicate with Spanish speaking clients.
To master this position requires approximately one year, so please only apply if you are willing to make a multi-year commitment.
This position requires full time computer work, does not include on-site inspections of certified organic operations, and is not likely to include field work in the future. There may be infrequent opportunities to represent CCOF at trade shows or conferences and to engage with clients directly in other settings, depending on interest and availability to travel. Certification Service Specialists interact with clients via phone, email and formal letters as well as occasional in-person office meetings.
TITLE: Farm Certification Service Specialist (Farm CSS)
JOB DESCRIPTION: This position works with a team of three or more other Farm CSS’s to provide customer service to CCOF’s 2,000+ farm clients. The main function of this role is to ensure the CCOF client service experience is as positive as possible and that they are provided with certification services in a timeline that meets their needs. The CSS provides quick review decisions for mid-year updates and proactively contacts clients about open action items. CSS’s may also work to support the acquisition of new operations. There is significant interaction with clients via phone, email and formal letters as well as occasional in-person office meetings. This position does not include on-site inspections of certified organic operations and will not include field work in the future. However, there are periodic opportunities to represent CCOF at trade shows and conferences, depending on interest and availability to travel.
• Acts as the main point of contact for a designated pool of clients.
• Provides technical services to certified organic clients, including reviewing and communicating with certified operations about mid-year updates, such as new labels, input materials, suppliers, products, parcels, etc.
• Reviews and tracks new applications to ensure timely review and communicates application status to applicants.
• Ensures that the CCOF quality system is implemented.
• Provides written and verbal instructions to CCOF clients regarding compliance to all applicable standards.
• Ensures that database records are consistent and current.
• Works on special projects as deemed necessary by the Farm Certification Manager, Director of Farm Certification or the President.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
Please do not submit an application unless you have all of the following:
• B.A. or B.S. degree or higher in applicable field OR commensurate and relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
• One or more years’ experience in a professional office environment.
• Spanish language skills sufficient to communicate verbally and in writing with Spanish speaking clients.
• Practical field experience in agriculture, preferably organic.
• Competency in word processing, formatting, databases, and email using applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Excellent communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
• Excellent spelling and grammar skills.
• Excellent skills to organize, monitor, and track numerous activities throughout the year.
• Comfort using a computer for multiple hours at a time.
• Ability to work with various groups and demographics of people.
• Ability to multi-task in a busy environment.
• Ability to logically solve problems under pressure.
• Strong attention to detail.
PREFFERED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
• Experience in working with environmental regulatory programs or food safety.
• Experience with organic regulations or agriculture.
• IOIA Organic Crop Inspector training or equivalent experience.
• Auditor training for food quality production systems or similar field.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full Time, at will employee. Salary is dependent upon experience. Competitive benefits include medical, dental, vision, paid vacation and 401k retirement plan with company match.
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to CCOF Certification Services by email below. No phone calls please. You will be contacted only if an interview is requested.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.