About Brighter Bites
Brighter Bites is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that creates communities of health through fresh food. Our goal is to change behavior among children and their families to prevent obesity and achieve long-term health.
We operate an evidence-based, comprehensive, multi-component elementary school, preschool, and summer camp program that utilizes reliable access to fruits and vegetables, nutrition education, and consistent exposure to recipes and messages that feature fresh food. For 16 weeks during the school year and 8 weeks during the summer, Brighter Bites provides: 1) 50 servings (~25lbs) of fresh fruits and vegetables to participating families each week, 2) nutrition education taught in the classroom through a train the trainer model, as well as handbooks, recipe cards and healthy tip sheets for parents, and 3) a fun food experience consisting of a healthy recipe tasting for families to try when they pick up their produce.
Since inception in 2012, Brighter Bites has distributed nearly 15M lbs. of produce to more than 30,000 separate families whose kids attend over 100 different schools, camps, and after school programs. We have active programming in Houston, Dallas, Austin, New York, Washington, D.C., and SW Florida; in 2018 we will be building out our strategic plan, which envisions a nationwide expansion of Brighter Bites.
Brighter Bites seeks a Sourcing Manager to establish key relationships with produce growers, retailers, and foodservice entities, to work with them on produce and/or freight donations, and to coordinate distribution to Brighter Bites delivery points across all active cities/sites. This role will ensure that we have both the amount and variety of produce necessary for every family that we serve. S/he will build and execute a long-term sourcing strategy, and will work with current and identify new partners locally, regionally, nationally, and help “tell our story” in order to increase support for Brighter Bites’ operations. This position reports to the Executive Director.
The Sourcing Manager will focus primarily on the following areas:
i. Procurement/Sourcing – Coordinate our daily produce needs in all cities, managing current supply streams and establishing new ones while maintaining core item rotation in order to ensure weekly variety in our bags. The Sourcing Manager will assess our overall needs vis-à-vis the supply chain in place now, build a forecasting model to know what are needs will be in future weeks/months, and will act as the central liaison between our City Directors and distribution partners to ensure that we are getting the product we need, when we need it.
The Sourcing Manager will work with our distribution partners, understand their operations, assist with issues related to incoming/outgoing inventory, and collaborate with appropriate partners to secure additional donations from Brighter Bites vendors.
ii. Sustainability – Brighter Bites, with support from food banks and partners in the produce industry, is tackling food waste and converting it into an impactful public health opportunity. As such, working with these partners and growing donations of rejected/kicked loads and “seconds” will be a priority.
The Sourcing Manager will implement a “local” and “sustainable” program (where applicable), regularly monitoring peak season products and taking into consideration current growing conditions and items that are long on the market, so that we can offer the freshest and tastiest produce available; great quality, flavor, and variety drive loyalty, and increased loyalty changes health outcomes.
In addition, we expect the Sourcing Manager to establish “Farm to Brighter Bites” connections and opportunities, developing a replicable platform to easily gain vendors and secure the products they have to offer and positioning it as a win/win for all involved.
iii. Partner/Industry Engagement – Brighter Bites also has the support of the Produce Marketing Association, a leading trade organization that represents companies from every segment of the global fresh produce supply chain. The Sourcing Manager, together with the Executive Director, Founders, and Board, will work with the industry (e.g., growers, shippers, marketing groups, distributors, carriers, etc.) and build an end-to-end platform/process that consolidates product.
In addition to these primary roles, areas of responsibility will include…
- Quality Assurance/Food Safety – Consult with industry experts, Brighter Bites Board and Leadership, and legal counsel to build a traceability platform that ensures the integrity of all inbound and outbound produce. S/he will establish our product liability threshold and implement that requirement throughout our supply chain.
- Develop and maintain effective communication and relationships with past, current and potential partners – trade associations, growers, distributors, retailers.
- Manage preparation and recording of acknowledgement letters, track future actions, and file relevant paperwork as it relates to tax benefits of donations (financial and in-kind).
- Work closely with the Marketing/Communications team on appropriate public recognition of support.
The Sourcing Manager will consistently, over time, exceed expectations in all the Brighter Bites core competencies of Communication, Passion, Collaboration/Teamwork, Impact/Influence and Innovation/Leadership. While s/he may still have areas for growth within these core competencies, they have a firm grounding of them and will execute them all on a consistent basis.
Further, the successful candidate will exhibit the following…
- Desire and passion to work with a mission-driven organization. One should not only be curious about the world of increasing food access and food literacy, but also have enthusiasm and drive to help us change that world.
- Entrepreneurial mindset. We are looking for a self-starting produce hustler who can expand upon existing partnerships and build new ones with representatives and organizations across the industry. Brighter Bites’ weekly produce needs are significant and the logistics complex - locating product from multiple locations/multiple sources that must be found and delivered via multiple avenues. Innovative thinking will be paramount.
- Stellar writing and interpersonal communication skills. You will at times be the voice and face of Brighter Bites in the community and with partners that enable our programming, and you must exhibit a positive and strategic presence on Brighter Bites’ behalf. Furthermore, at times you will be expected to give oral presentations, and some experience in this realm is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred, in addition to at least five (5) years of procurement/sourcing experience in the produce industry.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess existing relationships with key players in the fresh produce supply chain.
- Strong project management skills, an appreciation for meeting deadlines, and the foresight and organizational wherewithal to be proactive.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter below.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.