The Staff Accountantassists and works under the direction of the Operations Controller of Ocean Mist Farms. The qualified candidate is responsible for assisting with account reconciliations and general ledger journal entries. This staff level position participates in the month-end close process and will work under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and tasks must be planned and executed to meet crucial deadlines and build the success of our programs. The following job functions are not all-inclusive and may change as required by the needs of the Company.
- Assist Senior Accountants with monthly general ledger close for Ocean Mist Farms and its subsidiary Ocean Mist Organic
- Variance analysis for our cooler operations
- Grower / Commodity Accounting for Ocean Mist Organic
- Assist with monthly bank reconciliations and weekly cash reports for Ocean Mist Organic
- Schedule and review general ledger accounts for Ocean Mist Farms and Ocean Mist Organic
- Reconcile Inventory / COGS – Commodities and Packaging for Ocean Mist Organic
- Approve A/P batches and vendor payable list prior to updating; set up new A/P vendors
- Miscellaneous invoicing
- Provide backup to accounts receivable.
- Perform other ad hoc projects and analyses as assigned
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, abilities AND Requirements
The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, professional-minded, and maintain a professional image at all times. Must be honest, trustworthy and respectful of self and others, demonstrate strong work ethics and adhere to our mission, vision and guiding values.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- A minimum of 1 – 3 years of progressive accounting experience is desired; knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP); comparable experience in related agriculture accounting is highly desired.
- Proficient software skills are required, including Microsoft Office suite applications, (i.e., Excel) is required; prior Famous experience is desired.
- Ability to research, retrieve and organize data to prepare reports and financial documentation; accurately perform complex mathematical computations
- Organize and maintain accounting records
- Train, plan and coordinate work of others; coordinate work flow effectively, efficiently, and neatly
- Interpret and explain complex rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Make decisions on a variety of complex matters in accordance with established procedures
- High level of attention to detail as well as superior organizational skills
- A self-starter, ensure delegated tasks are completed with minimal supervisor follow up. Proactively communicate task and project updates to supervisor
- Keep projects on schedule; able to work well under pressure
- Will operate various office equipment, including (not inclusive list): telephone, computer keyboard, photocopy machine, fax, 10-key calculator by touch, postage meter and other clerical and office equipment
- Majority of time spent working indoors, often sitting, walking, standing, kneeling, turning, reaching, or climbing stairs for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 30 pounds without undue physical exertion; ability to communicate verbally and comprehend verbal instructions; ability to communicate in written form; requires sufficient sight and hearing to perform all duties
- Ability to learn and absorb new duties with minimal repetition or re-training from supervisor
- Ability to manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal supervision
Headquartered in Castroville, California near Monterey Bay, Ocean Mist Farms is one of California’s leading grower/shipper of premium quality produce.
Ocean Mist Farms is a grower-owned farming company that produces a full line of more than 30 fresh vegetable commodities year round and the largest grower of fresh artichokes in North America.
This fourth generation of family farmers is committed to the highest standards in the industry for quality, service, innovation and social responsibility.
Ocean Mist Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.