Job Title: Food Safety Specialist
Department: 1605-Fruit Services
Job Number: 0575
Division: 100-Fresh Fruit
Market Anchor: C2
FLSA: Non-Exempt - Hourly
Supervision Level: Minimal
Reports To: Food Safety Manager
EE01 Group: 03- Technicians
FT/PT Status: Full Time
Hours: 40 per week
The job of the Food Safety Specialist was established for the purpose/s of assisting in maintaining and coordinating food safety programs and recall programs for fresh fruit and licensing departments. This includes regular communication and interaction with packinghouses, licensees and other Sunkist staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/DUTIES
- Maintains database of third party audits, certificates for growers, packinghouses and repackers. Reviews audit reports for potential compliance issues.
- Assists with customer complaints and inquiries and maintains customer data sharing websites (Azzule, icix, etc.).
- Serves as the designee for routine customer traceability inquires and exercises.
- Maintains and manages emergency contact lists for all fresh fruit customers and their recall protocol requirements.
- Assists in mock recalls with packinghouses and customers.
- Coordinates sampling program for MRL compliance program.
- Assists growers and packinghouses with food safety audit preparation, technical questions, and corrective action as needed.
- Maintains the Sunkist licensee sampling program ensuring all licensees send in samples as per schedule; arranges samples to be tested by external laboratory and conducts in-house evaluations.
- Assists will setting up taste panels and generating reports.
- Updates and maintains all product exhibits for licensed products.
- Required to travel short and long distances to include overnight stays.
- Maintains regular and timely attendance.
- Accomplishes department and organization mission and goals by completing related tasks as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Maintains a well-organized licensing samples inventory.
- Maintains a neat work area; maintains a professional appearance and good personal conduct at all times.
- Attends meetings as requested.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Certifications/Licenses, Experiences, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Bachelor's degree in food science, food technology or similar field; or equivalent. (An Associate's Degree in a related field with a minimum 5 years in a food processing and food operations environment will also be considered)
- At least 3 years’ experience in food safety or similar field. Experience in produce is highly desirable.
- Experience with HACCP programs, preventative controls and produce safety rules is preferred. Holding certificates in all three also preferred.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations related to food production.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to travel to domestic locations.
- Must be proficient in the use of common applications in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Must possess a valid unrestricted CA driver’s License.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form. Bilingual in Spanish highly desirable.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (List not all inclusive)
Measurements: 67-100% of time = Continuously, 45-66% of time = Frequently, 66% of time = Occasionally
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential functions consistent with Sunkist standards, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with Sunkist standard, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Must be able to: talk, listen and speak effectively on telephone; read, write and understand written documents and policy; sit for sustained periods of time.
- Must be able to remove and carry a laptop computer to and from work and home.
- Ability to type or otherwise work primarily with fingers rather than the whole hand or arm.
- Must be able to spend extended period of time viewing computer screen and/or operating a keyboard.
- Will need to move from workstation to various printers, scanners, etc. in order to handle business documents.
- Moderate Carrying to pick up fruit samples. Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Able to stand; walk short distances; pull and/or push; grasp; reach; bend; stoop; kneel; crouch.
- Must be able to travel to different work sites and conferences; overnight travel.
EQUIPMENT USED FOR THIS POSITION
- May be required to use and be responsible for a company provided laptop, PC or equivalent; Normal office equipment such as printers, scanners, fax machines; Cell phone and office landline.
Must have the ability to:
- Process (review/organize) large amounts of information containing many components in a work environment with varying levels of distractions.
- Understand and follow instructions and guidelines.
- Sort through extraneous information on phone calls in order to determine primary issue(s).
- Shift from an involved project to handle an immediate need and then focus back to original project rapidly.
- Works mainly in a temperature controlled office environment subject to moderate interruptions and mild to moderate background noises. Will occasionally work in packing facilities with a great deal of moving equipment, noise, distractions and temperature extremes.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles.
- Work may include extended periods of time viewing a computer monitor and operating a keyboard.
- May be required to travel short and long distances by ground and by air to reach temporary work locations.
- Works an 8 hour Monday through Friday work schedule but must be available to work on-call, evenings and weekends as needed.
This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between Sunkist and its employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.