Job Title: Environmental Health and Safety Specialist (Exempt position)
Location: San Juan Bautista California and Yuma Arizona
Reports to: Safety Risk Director
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
This position will support the development of EHS reports, procedures and programs to ensure the Company provides a safe workplace for employees and minimizes impacts to the environment. The incumbent will support the EHS management system and compliance at a plant level and help drive EHS performance improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research safety and environmental regulations and provide support for compliance
- Participate in EHS compliance and EHS Audits
- Supports the Safety and Risk Director in the development of EHS policies, standards and procedures based on regulatory and internal requirements
- Manage data collection and analysis of EHS metrics and reports including; injury and illness, air, waste, energy and water data
- Serve as the subject matter expert on EHS and other data management systems
- Assist with preparation of government reports and permits/certifications
- Participate or lead EHS projects to support best industry practices
- Participate in root cause incident investigations
- Participate in job safety analysis
- Assist in creation and delivery of EHS training programs
- Assist with management of EHS recordkeeping
- Lead creation and deployment of EHS communications to workforce
- Support Workers Compensation programs and process improvements; monitors claims and partners with case managers with claim management and recommends plan of action
- Collaborates with plant leadership relative to light duty opportunities and/or modified work, if available
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Very High Skills: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must poses valid CA driver’s license and be insurable
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Federal and state law is required
- Work closely with all levels of plant management and support functions in matters relative to EHS guidance and compliance
- Supervise and manage multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Strong communication and organizational skills
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), web-based applications
Health and safety expertise:
Behavior based safety
Chemical hazard communication
Confined space entry
Emergency response planning
PSM – Process Safety Management NH3 Refrigeration
Hazardous energy control - Lock Out Tag Out
Injury reporting and analysis
Job hazard analysis and risk assessments
Machine guarding and pre-start equipment assessments
Personal protective equipment
Powered industrial vehicles
Safety Programs and awareness and OSHA Compliance
Wastewater and storm water management, permitting and controls
Pollution prevention and resource conservation
Automobile, computer, printer and all office environment equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.