John Vena, Inc is a fourth-generation, family-owned specialty produce wholesale distributor located in Philadelphia, PA. Working with hundreds of growers and shippers around the world, John Vena, Inc specializes in sourcing greenhouse vegetables, tropical and ethnic produce, gourmet items, and year-round fresh herbs. We offer a full range of services to wholesale clients in food service, retail, and processing along the Eastern seaboard, including pre-ripening, custom packing and private label, and sales support. We are committed to providing the highest quality products available with exceptional service and dedication.
We are seeking a Retail Business Development Manager to develop the company’s presence in the retail industry. You will be responsible for aggressively growing the company’s supermarket and chain store sales with a focus on lead generation, targeting and soliciting new accounts, and development of successful long-term programs and client partnerships. This is a highly visible role with room for growth that must be built upon existing relationships in the industry. Success will be dependent on the candidate’s ability to develop and implement profitable programs with limited resources and to communicate openly both internally and externally.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Develop a targeted sales plan to leverage the company’s core capacities to achieve segment growth goals.
- Contribute to the development of retail-focused products and services by providing industry insights and soliciting client input.
- Create structure and implement accountability measures for business development activities.
- Solicit new business with prospects via email campaigns, cold calling, drop-ins, etc.
- Identify new targets and leads and pursue them.
- Regularly meet face to face with existing clients and qualified leads.
- Develop client-specific programs to maximize sales for us and for clients, cross-promoting all products and services.
- Develop new long-term, successful relationships and improve existing client relationships
- Build industry relationships and attend trade shows, networking groups, etc.
- Maintaining ongoing knowledge of retail trends and buying behavior, and regularly communicate that information to the team.
- Understand and continually improve product expertise and knowledge of specialty produce industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent industry experience
- Five (5) to ten (10) years’ experience in wholesale produce sales preferred
- Professional experience successfully selling to multi unit retail clients required
- Proven ability to develop new accounts and maximize revenue
- Experience building programs from the ground up
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to travel locally and regionally up to 50%
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Generous PTO Policy
- 401K with company match
- Performance Based Bonus Program
- Room for growth!
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.