Food and Safety Coordinator
The King Fresh Family of companies Wilson Farms, River Island Fresh Cold Storage Inc., Red Lion Cherry Packers and King Fresh Marketing is seeking a self-directed, experienced Food and Safety Coordinator to join our growing team.
We are looking for an experienced Food and Safety Coordinator who will be creating, enacting, and updating job safety programs for employees that encompass government health, safety and food safety regulations as well as company standards for safety in the workplace. Training employees on the importance of health and safety on the job. This includes regular communication and interaction with packinghouses, licensees, farms and other staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/DUTIES
- Conduct facility food safety audits as well as manage third party audits
- Maintains database of third party audits, certificates for growers, packinghouses and re-packers. Reviews audit reports for potential compliance issues.
- Assists with customer complaints and inquiries and maintains customer data
- Maintains and manages emergency contact lists for all fresh fruit customers and their recall protocol requirements.
- Assists in mock recalls with packinghouses and customers.
- Assists growers and packinghouses with food safety audit preparation, technical questions, and corrective action as needed.
- Maintains regular and timely attendance.
- Accomplishes department and organization mission and goals by completing related tasks as needed.
- Conduct periodic safety and health walk-through inspections of all workplace facilities
- Advise on provisions to minimize safety risks
- Keep records of safety-related incidents and propose corrective actions
- Organize and conduct safety trainings
- Collaborate with managers to monitor compliance and identify safety issues
- Intervene in unsafe activities or operations and finding the best way to prevent future accidents
- Develop and maintain documentation such as SOP’s, as well as maintenance of manuals, policies and procedures as relate to any food safety concerns
- Update existing food safety procedures and documentation to keep up with changing requirements
- Focusing on prevention by keeping up with equipment maintenance and employee training
- Presenting safety principles to staff in meetings or lecture-type training sessions
- Participating in continuing education to update knowledge of health and safety protocols and techniques
- Determining whether the finished product is safe for customers
- Creating safety plans that include suggested improvements to existing infrastructure and business processes
- Sharing information, suggestions, and observations with project leadership to create consistency in safety standards throughout the production team and the entire company
- Meeting company health and safety goals
- Investigating causes of accidents and other unsafe conditions on the job site and propose corrective actions
- Reviewing and reporting on the staff's compliance with health and safety rules
- Performs other related duties as assigned for ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit
- Maintains a neat work area; maintains a professional appearance and good personal conduct at all times
- Attends meetings as requested
- At least 3 years’ experience in food safety or similar field. Experience in produce is highly desirable.
- Experience with HACCP and GMP’s programs, preventative controls and produce safety rules is preferred. Holding certificates in all three also preferred.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations related to food production.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to travel between Bakersfield and Stockton, CA
- Must be proficient in the use of common applications in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Must possess a valid unrestricted CA driver’s License.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form. Bilingual in Spanish highly desirable.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.