Food Safety Representative II, Santa Maria, CA
We are seeking an outstanding individual as a Food Safety and Integrity Representative for a leadership role on our Food Safety, Regulatory and Social Compliance team. This position ensures the assessment of risk and implementation of Good Agricultural and Good Harvesting Practices amongst our growing and harvesting operations, and also ensures that packing houses and distribution centers follow Good Manufacturing Practices in the associated region. The position also supports organic and worker welfare compliance. This Food Safety Representative works closely with Driscoll’s Food Safety Team, Growers, Regional Production teams, and Cooler personnel to execute Driscoll’s Food Safety and Integrity Program.
- Bachelor of Science degree required (preferably with emphasis on microbiology and/or food science)
- 3-5 years’ experience in Agriculture with emphasis on Food Safety, Microbiology, GAPs, and GMPs preferred
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation
- Knowledge of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Knowledge of Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- Strong organizational (tracking, time management and reporting) skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, self-starter
- Strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Statistical software. Experience in Data Management and Data Entry
- Ability to work collaboratively with Production, Auditors, Labs and Food Safety team members
- Quick learner and forward thinker
- Bilingual, English/Spanish required
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required
- Requires significant travel
Assist growers and facilities with implementation of the Food Safety manuals
Execution of Driscoll’s Internal Food Safety Audit program
Work with certification bodies to execute third party audits
Supports compliance activities for organic integrity, regulatory and worker welfare in the region
Represent Integrity & food safety issues on the District team
Work with the District Production team to compile ranch lists and identify new growers and sites, and resolve District issues as needed
On-boarding of new growers
Obtain and process grower pesticide use reports
Implement district training program for growers, facilities, and other Driscoll’s personnel
Execution of sampling program to meet company, audit and government standards (micro and residue). Pull samples, track, follow up, and take corrective action and conduct investigations where needed
Track cooler facilities, including Third Party Facilities, and obtain third party audit certificates where necessary
Conduct risk assessments. As needed, conduct new site and water source risk assessments.
Conducts internal GAP and GMP audits
Effectively trains and communicates food safety policies to company employees and growers
Maintains high quality and through compliance records related to food safety programs
Conduct mock recalls. Mock recalls will be conducted annually for all facilities for which we schedule an audit
Attend grower meetings
Ensures the security of Driscoll’s proprietary and confidential information and material
Follows Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, growers, customers, etc.
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
About the Company
Driscoll’s is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll’s is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll’s exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll’s is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries ™.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.