Fresh Harvest is one of the largest Ag labor contractors in CA/AZ. We have an immediate opening for a Food Safety Assistant located in Salinas, CA / Yuma,AZ. The Food Safety Assistant reports directly to the Manager of Food Safety.
The essential function of this position is responsible for the coordination and maintenance of Food Safety plan by providing assistance, communication and follow-up on FS policies, procedures and documentation; and, coordinating the resolution of specific policy-related and procedural problems and incidences. The individual is responsible for a wide variety of duties including but not limited to this job description.
● Provide advice and assistance with development and implementation of FS policies, procedures and documentation
● Maintain FS documents, database, records, binders & filing
● Corrective Action and Preventative Measures –assist with logging and tracking of non-compliances and FS incidences, do investigations, coordinate follow-up and bring outstanding issues to closure
● Provide FS Training –assist in development of training programs, conduct training classes, maintain training records
● Audits –third-party, government, customer –assist with audit preparation, organization and follow-up
● Conduct routine audits of internal food safety program
● Conduct routine checks to verify proper record keeping
● Reports to Management –obtain, input, tabulate FS data and provide reports to Management
● Work closely with Food Safety Manager to ensure Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) programs are in place with harvesting operations
● Other duties as assigned.
● Previous Food Safety experience would be an asset
● Strong knowledge of local, state and federal laws and requirements to maintain compliance to all relevant statutes and guiding principles (FDA, USDA, LGMA)
● Comprehensive knowledge of general food-safety and organic program best practices, highly proficient in ability to document and work within GAPs, GHPs,Primus GFSI
● Proficiency in use of English language with the ability to communicate effectively and professionally, present information and direction, and field questions from managers, employees and external contacts
● Spanish as a second language would be an asset
● Must be a high-performance team player and be willing to work in a dynamic, growing, demanding and fast-paced environment
● Must be a self-starter and willing to work flexible hours
● Must have ability to effectively follow-up and handle multiple projects with strong personal time-management skills and effectively manage associated stress
● Proficient in computer-use skills (MS Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
● Willingness to work independently with minimal supervision and take ownership of job
● Willingness to work with a high degree of professionalism and personal integrity
● Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills. Need to be creative, adaptable and able to accurately handle out of the ordinary issues with a sense of urgency.
● Education: High School Diploma and/or Work Equivalent
● Experience: 1 plus years of experience in Food Safety (prefered)
● General Office Equipment Technical Google & Google Apps.
● Bilingual in Spanish
● Valid Driver's License and good driving record
● Must pass Drug Test and Background Check
● 1 - 2 years related work experience
● Knowledge in Primus GFSI,LGMA requirements (prefered)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.