Major contributor and key member of the Operations Management team; works with sales in the planning, organizing and scheduling of fresh potato & onion operations. Analyze and assist packing facilities in operation and production efficiencies. Understand customer needs, requirements and the realistic delivery of those needs. Maintain a balance of production between all facilities to maximize efficiencies and cut costs. Build and maintain strong relationships with current dedicated production facilities, growers, copack shippers, and customers.
Minimum Qualifications (if any):
- BS degree in Agriculture or Ag Business and or equivalent work experience in fresh/processed vegetable production or QA required.
- Working knowledge of USDA potato and onion grade specifications.
- Working knowledge of organic potato and onion supplies, certifications, and specifications.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to build relationships with growers, coworkers, and customers.
- Ability to deal with confrontation constructively and effectively.
- Strong computer skills including data gathering and data analysis.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to travel on company business on a regular basis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Russet Operations Manager
- Primary contact with russet packers regarding trouble files, production schedules and balancing orders in respect to price and volume.
- Primary backup for Production office when additional resources are needed (PTO coverage, busy holiday times, etc.).
- Primary contact with outside russet copackers; maintaining and building those relationships to maintain / grow the copack russet business; includes regular copacker visits.
- Assist VP of Operations & Sr. VP of Sales in obtaining approval for annual customer contracts; tracking customer requests, approvals, and documenting the processes.
- Support sales and operations with data analysis:
- Mostly market reporting and analysis – how is sales data performing against the Idaho mostly market.
- Customer contract tracking and reporting – how are customers performing on their contracts and how does that impact performance against the mostly market.
Agriculture and Packing Plant Operations – Onion Business (conventional & sweet onions)
- Utilize knowledge of onion varieties (growing, harvesting and packing processes) to effectively manage and grow the company onion business.
- Primary contact with onion growers and packers regarding trouble files, production schedules, and balancing orders in respect to price and volume.
- Work with onion growers/packers and QA to resolve quality or production problems.
- Manage supplies from each growing area / season to ensure smooth transitions from one area to the next.
- Develop and maintain year-round sourcing plan for onions.
- Manage onion cooperative relationships (dedicated onion business).
Agriculture and Packing Plant Operations – Organic Potato & Onion Business
- Develop and maintain year-round supply source for organic potatoes and onions.
- Primary contact with organic growers and packers regarding trouble files, production schedules, and balancing orders in respect to price and volume.
- Work with organic growers/packers and QA to resolve quality or production problems
Business and Financial Planning
- Major contributor to the development and direction of the Potandon operational business plan; major contributor to the execution of the Potandon operational business plan.
- Contribute to the annual volume and margin planning and projections.
- Oversee budget items such as Ops Supplies, Ops Travel, and any other items that may be determined by Supervisor.
- Keep Potandon competitive in regard to new packaging, new equipment & packing methods.
- Support VP of Operations and other Potandon managers and supervisors as needed.
- Attend trade shows (PMA, Regional Grower Conventions, United etc.) as needed to strengthen trade relationship and keep up-to-date on new technology to support Potandon plant operations.
- Give support to sales staff by acting as liaison between Potandon and all organic and onion locations.
- Proactively work with Sales on sourcing, supply and quality issues.
- Manage the ads and contracts with the sales department for russets, onions and organics.
- Help facilitate a greater understanding of Famous Reporting and use as a customer management tool.
- Provide leadership, direction, training and development to operations employees when needed.
- Specials projects as assigned by the VP of Operations.
- Support other business manager efforts as assigned.
- All other duties as assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.