Title: Transportation Planner
Location: Salinas, California
Reports to: Transportation Manager
Deadline to Apply: June 8, 2018
Tanimura and Antle is an employee owned Company and the industry leader of fresh produce for over 35 years. Tanimura & Antle attributes its success to our loyal and dedicated employees and our future is brighter than ever.
Our mission is to provide quality, service, and innovation by employees with attitude, ownership and accountability.
The primary responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Promotes a positive Company image, and supports the Sales and Transportation efforts.
- Maintains product knowledge of the Tanimura & Antle product portfolio, including all product attributes.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with carriers and team members that reflect a reputation for professional communications, service, trust, integrity, reliability, attention to detail and urgency.
- Plans loads, builds routes in Excel/TMS and tenders to carriers.
- Provides and enters notes and link orders on JD Edwards.
- Tracks late pick-up/delivery challenges, carrier’s address, and advises the Sales team of potential late arrivals.
- Tracks loads and has ongoing communication with carriers, the Sales and Transportation teams until delivery is successfully completed.
- Coordinates invoicing by printing, reviewing, coding, organizing and submitting for approval.
- Explores cold calls and evaluates returned calls, referrals, OTA metrics to customers and lanes serviced.
- Updates customer profiles as needed to validate receiving hours, contact information, etc.
- Works with carriers, Sales and Appointment teams regarding any change in load schedule and facilitates the rescheduling of load appointments.
- Communicates open pallet positions on loads to the Sales team to ensure all trucks loaded to maximum capacity.
- Tracks freight revenue by order & load.
- Identifies, executes and provides recommendations regarding cost savings opportunities.
- Works effectively and collaborates as a team member in the Sales Department.
- Works effectively and autonomously for customer service and profitable business growth.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Training and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university and 3-5 years of transportation logistics experience in the produce industry desired.
Language & Communication Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the ability to communicate effectively in all circumstances, including over the phone, email and in person. Must have excellent written, verbal interpersonal and cross-cultural skills to communicate and work with everyone, from the field, cooler, to customers, team-members, and management.
Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from carriers, team members, and managers.
Must have the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations and determine which option is the best suitable and profitable given the circumstances at hand. Able to troubleshoot and problem-solve.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Internet software.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must understand overall Company Sales and Transportation priorities and work in a collaborative way to support the highest overall Company profitability.
- Must be a team player with a can-do attitude and be goal driven.
- Must work well with minimal supervision, take initiative, and be a self-starter.
- Must have reliable, predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment, have excellent communication and organizational skills and great attention to detail.
- Prefer to be familiar with Tanimura & Antle products including both conventional and organic leafy-greens, broccoli, cauliflower and celery.
This position requires the ability to work well under pressure, be flexible and meet Company goals and deadlines.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
In this position, the employee will sit at a desk and operate a computer, and keyboard; hear; talk; stand; walk; have visual acuity to review and prepare written documentation; have the ability to understand speech at normal room levels and on the telephone; and have manual dexterity to operate a telephone and computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.