Transportation Specialist / Manager (DOE)
Imperfect is a produce delivery startup on a mission to reduce food waste and to make fresh produce more affordable, accessible, and convenient. We source produce directly from farms, which would otherwise go to waste, and deliver it to customers' doors for 30-50% less than grocery store prices. Since our start in 2015, our customers have saved millions of pounds of produce from going to waste.
Imperfect is more than just a produce box! In everything we do, we bring an appetite, lead with heart, embrace imperfection, and work to grow the movement. By working at Imperfect, you’re helping build a more sustainable and effective food system. You’re helping fight food waste. You’re ensuring farmers are rewarded for their full harvest. You’re improving access to healthy food in food deserts. With each curvy cucumber and misshapen potato, you’re helping shape our world for the better.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations in each of our cities: the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, and Indianapolis. Imperfect plans to bring ugly produce to Sacramento, San Diego, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis in 2018.
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
About the Role
We're looking for a dedicated, enthusiastic, and highly motivated problem-solver who lives and breathes transportation and logistics. No detail is too big or too small to be overlooked. This is a unique opportunity for a talented individual to get in on the ground floor of one of the most exciting startups in the sustainable food movement.
In this position, the candidate is responsible for coordinating shipments of fresh produce between growers/vendors and the Imperfect packing facilities and developing new and existing LTL and FTL carriers. This person will monitor and verify documentation and ensure good arrivals, supporting and working in tandem with the purchasing and receiving department. On occasion this person may support the purchasing department by inputting purchase orders and various other tasks. This individual enjoys problem solving and negotiating the unexpected. The ideal candidate is highly organized, proficient in Excel, Google Docs/Sheets and QuickBooks, and/or other ERP systems.
- Serve as the primary communication bridge between our purchasing and operations teams and the grower/shipper as to the timely pickup and delivery of all P.O.’s
- Research LTL and FTL carriers and continually improve logistics efficiencies and pricing
- Prepare and manage all required shipping documentation
- Set up and confirm timely pickup and deliveries
- Ensure product arrives at cross-dock and is picked and loaded for long hauls
- Manage shipments of product from pickup to delivery
- Ensure product is shipped at correct/optimum temperature
- Track shipments and update Purchasing/Merchandisers/Operations team
- Research and resolve any late or missing loads.
- File claim with truckers for missing/damaged product
- Create solutions for any-and-all transportation issues
- Reconcile any freight payment issues with accounting
- Update carrier list with new vendors and rates between growing areas and packing centers
- Effectively negotiate best freight rates and service
- Assist Purchasing team as needed with P.O. creation and other duties
Skills and Qualifications
- 3- 7 years experience in the perishables transportation field
- High accuracy and fast data input
- 10 key proficiency a plus
- Has direct understanding and experience with dispatching LTL trucks to coolers in produce growing regions, seasons and availability and delivering locally and across country
- Knowledge of west coast to midwest trucking routes and potential seasonal conditions is required
- Knows refrigerated FTL asset-based carriers, truck brokers and west coast regional LTL carriers
- Ability to identify regional LTL carriers in midwest, northeast and southeast
- Knows how to problem solve with shippers, coolers and carriers
- Previous experience in produce transportation strongly preferred
- Understands all parts of a logistics business – purchasing, operations and cold chain
- Experience working with a dynamic fast paced team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Energetic and excited about our mission, vision and values
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
- Ability to problem-solve and think on your feet (A.K.A. a mental juggler)
- Excels at independent, unsupervised work
- Note: This is a growing business with a lot of departmental cross over. The individual must be comfortable wearing multiple hats. The candidate that succeeds in this position will be self-directed, professional, calm and respectful
Details of Position
- This position reports to the Vice President of Supply
- Full-time exempt position
- Compensation and stock options commensurate with experience
- We also provide generous benefits including health care, vision, dental and free produce!
- Position is based out of our San Francisco HQ in Bayview
- Evening, weekend, and holiday work required on an as needed basis
- Sedentary work; predominantly involves sitting most of the time.
- Standing desks and / or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Walking, climbing stairs, and standing are required only occasionally
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens; regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets also required
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Produce are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.