Produce Procurement Associate
Imperfect is a produce delivery startup on a mission to reduce food waste and to make fresh produce more affordable, accessible, and convenient. We source produce directly from farms, which would otherwise go to waste, and deliver it to customers' doors for 30-50% less than grocery store prices. Since our start in 2015, our customers have saved millions of pounds of produce from going to waste.
Imperfect is more than just a produce box! In everything we do, we bring an appetite, lead with heart, embrace imperfection, and work to grow the movement. By working at Imperfect, you’re helping build a more sustainable and effective food system. You’re helping fight food waste. You’re ensuring farmers are rewarded for their full harvest. You’re improving access to healthy food in food deserts. With each curvy cucumber and misshapen potato, you’re helping shape our world for the better.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations in each of our cities: the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, and Indianapolis. Imperfect plans to bring ugly produce to Sacramento, San Diego, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis in 2018.
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
About the Role
We're looking for a dedicated, enthusiastic, and highly motivated problem-solver who loves the fast pace of produce. No detail is too big or too small to be overlooked. This is a unique opportunity for a talented individual to get in on the ground floor of one of the most exciting startups in the sustainable food movement.
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for purchasing of produce for our repacking centers. They will secure availability and pricing from growers, input purchase orders into the system and work with transportation to schedule inbound freight. The scope is broad ranging from placing and adjusting orders, tracking inventory and monitoring receiving reports. This person will be capable of quickly deciding on contingency plans when last minute availability issues occur and will work closely in planning future purchasing with the Purchasing Manager, as well as Operations and Supply team leadership.
- Contact growers for availability and pricing
- Create all purchase orders for product requested by Operations team
- Quickly and effectively obtain replacement product due to shorted orders or unexpected customer demand
- Verify accuracy of all purchasing documentation from P.O. creation to receipt of product
- Regularly update P.O.’s in QuickBooks to reflect accurate availability and shipments
- Alert Ops and Receiving of any changes made to P.O.’s by forwarding updated P.O.’s via SLACK and email to these departments
- Alert Logistics, GM’s and the appropriate Supply team members in our satellite facilities when the changes are made
- Support Accounts Payable as needed to verify invoices and documentation
- Support the QC department by regularly walking the cooler to inspect newly received produce as well as produce on the pack line to ensure freshness
- Inform the Purchasing and QC manager of any product quality questions or concerns
Skills and Qualifications
- 2+ years hands-on fresh produce industry experience in buying
- Has good understanding of produce growing regions, seasons and availability
- Previous experience in purchasing and logistics for fresh produce
- High accuracy and fast data input. 10 key proficiency a plus
- Experience working with a dynamic, fast paced team
- Knowledge of inventory management and operations software
- Proficient with Excel, Word, QuickBooks and Google Sheets/Docs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Energetic and excited about Imperfect Produce’s Vision and Values
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
- Ability to problem-solve and think on your feet (A.K.A. a mental juggler)
- Note: This is a growing business with a lot of departmental cross over. The individual must be comfortable wearing multiple hats. The candidate that succeeds in this position will be self-directed, professional, calm and respectful.
Details of Position
- This is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Purchasing Manager.
- Position is based out of our office/warehouse in the Bayview district of San Francisco
- Compensation and stock options commensurate with experience. We also provide generous benefits including health care, vacation days, and free produce!
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Produce are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.