Job Title: Food Safety/Quality Assurance Manager
Schedule: Year Round, Salary - Exempt
Location: Gonzales, California
Job Summary and Qualifications
Pure Pacific Organics, LLC., is one of the best recognized leafy green processors, marketers and distributors of high-quality fresh and fresh-cut vegetables, as well as a leading producer and distributor of produce in the USA. Production runs continuously all year round operating in Gonzales, California. Pure Pacific Organic is looking for a Food Safety Manager to join our team.
The Food Safety (FS) /Quality Assurance (QA) Manager will provide leadership and support for the development and implementation of Food Safety/Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures. This positions’ main function is to assure the quality of incoming raw material, product, processing, and finished goods meet and exceed Quality Assurance and Food Safety standards as well as exceed customer’s expectations. This is accomplished through effectively planning, designing, Primus GFSI audits, customer audits, and communicating Quality Assurances (QA), Food Safety (FS), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), and Global Food Safety Initiative standards (GFSI), FSMA Preventative Controls Rule, policies, procedures and measures.
This position will report to corporate, Director of Food Safety.
• Establish, communicate and monitor QA, FS, GMP, FSMA Preventative Controls programs
• Assure QA, FS, FSMA PC and GMP systems are effectively utilized by all inter-departments
• Assess QA, FS,FSMA PC and GMP systems for overall effectiveness; must meet and exceed company, industry and customer expectations
• Lead 3rd party, customer, food safety, processing audits
• Train production personnel on QA and FS programs
• Troubleshoot QA and FS issues promptly with Managers to find best solution while limiting internal and external liability
• Facilitate product and process deviations, non-conformances, and Corrective Action Plans (CAPs)
• Support non-conforming material recalls, product complaint investigations, and biological product deviation report requirements
• Manage planning and execution of existing and new product testing efforts
• Hire and directly supervise the food safety/quality assurance/sanitation team assuring members are properly trained and work in a safe environment
• Participate, Plan, and design Primus GFSI audits and customer audits
Additional Duties (plant sanitation program related)
• Production/Operation (back up support when needed)
• Assist with identifying hazards around the plant
• Serve as a liaison for sales department; PPO visitors/customers
• Handle majority of purchasing for the plant (PPE, Supplies, and anything not related to maintenance equipment)
• Minimum five (5) years in related field; FS, QA, processing facility, fresh produce industry, and sanitation.
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Food Science, Biological Science, Microbiology, Food Safety, agricultural or plant science, or related field required.
• Must be trained by FSPCA as a Qualified Individual under FSMA Preventative Controls Rule, and hold a valid certificate
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) required
• Experienced managing broad range of quality-related functions, including HACCP plans, GMP’s, GFSI, and AIB certification
• Computer Proficient – Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel application minimum
• Strong interpersonal, written, communication, organizational and analytical skills
• Detail oriented and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a deadline oriented environment
• Demonstrate desire for achieving excellence in customer satisfaction, product quality and reliability
• Leadership skills that inspire team confidence, motivation and respect in a creative and effective manner
• Some travel required during Arizona season
• Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time, work outside or inside, work in variable climate conditions such as outside of the facility, inside the facility, in refrigerated rooms, in wet production environments, in noisy environments, and work in proximity to moving equipment.
• Must be able to carry up to 20 lbs. of equipment.
• Must be able to walk up and down stairs/ladders (up to 6 ft), bend and walk under equipment.
• Must be able to work variable hours, depending on operational needs, including mornings, evenings, and weekends.
The above description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.