Since 1868, the Martinelli family has been producing award-winning apple juice. Located in the cool California Central Coast, the fertile Pajaro Valley produces the most flavorful apple varieties in the world.Since winning its first gold medal in 1890, Martinelli’s has received more than fifty gold medals for product excellence. Distribution of Martinelli’s Gold Medal® products now extends to every state in the U.S. and dozens of countries in North and South America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Middle East.
Under general supervision, the Payroll Specialist performs all activities necessary to process weekly and bi-weekly payroll for both union and administrative groups for approximately 300 employees. Responsibilities include preparation, maintenance and filing of mandatory payroll reports and related records, prepare accounting transactions, document and update procedures, and work closely with accounting staff to provide payroll information to generate periodic reports for management.
Essential Job Functions
- Advanced knowledge of payroll practices, federal, state, local labor laws, and taxation of employer paid benefits.
- Responsible for all data collection, entry, timely processing, and accurate reporting to meet payroll cycle deadlines.
- Serves as the point of contact for all payroll related inquiries and questions. Investigates and resolves questions and discrepancies in paychecks in accordance with established policies.
- Performs diverse clerical tasks as necessary to assist the Human Resources Staff.
- Administers all deductions, including health insurance, 401K, pension, garnishments, voluntary and involuntary payroll deductions.
- Provides ad hoc training to Human Resources staff to increase knowledge of payroll principles and practices.
- Processes employment verifications, unemployment claims, and forms, including Employment Development Department Benefit Audits.
- Supports payroll database applications for all employees, including training of all system users.
- Serves as point of contact with the payroll system vendor.
- Oversees distribution of payroll checks to multiple locations.
- Administers all interfaces, reports, and tables within ADP Workforce Now and Enterprise Time.
- Requires maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and discretion with any payroll matter and provides outstanding customer service to maintain and exceed employees’ expectations.
- Manages multiple tasks and is able to work well under stress with frequent interruptions at any given time and to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely.
- Performs final review of payroll once appropriate members of the Human Resources department and management approve corrections and changes for final calculation of payroll.
- Tracks leaves of absences, record sick, and vacation hours in ADP Enterprise Time System.
- Works closely with appropriate members of the Accounting department to process all union related transactions for various general payroll deductions including union pension and union dues.
- Administers time and labor management software (Enterprise E-Time). Understands setup features, work rules, pay rules, quick navigation filters, hyper-find queries, and licensing requirements for end users.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum of five to seven years of relevant working experience in payroll processing. Certification in payroll is highly desired.
- Knowledge of federal and state tax calculations.
- Fluent in English and Spanish and able to independently interact and communicate with native speakers of both languages without assistance.
- Expert level knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of ADP Workforce Now and Enterprise Time.
- Has technical knowledge of commonly-used payroll concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Manufacturing and Union experience highly desired.
- Flexibility to work outside the standard business hours.
- Excellent organization, time management, and analytical skills.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Pass a background check, physical, and drug screen.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for long periods of time, and periodically lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to stand and/or sit in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Work is performed in a standard office and plant environment.
- Must be able to maintain a valid California Driver’s License with the ability to be insured under company sponsored liability coverage.
All Employees Are Expected To:
- Comply with all Company safety requirements.
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures.
Upon meeting eligibility requirements, the Company offers the following: paid sick leave, paid vacation leave, 8 paid holidays per year, 401(k) elective deferral options, and 401(k) profit share contributions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job. S. Martinelli & Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.