COMPANY: Growers Express
JOB TITLE: Research & Development Technician
DEPARTMENT: Technical Services
EXEMPT (Y/N): Y
SUMMARY: The Research & Development Technician (R&D) is responsible for the design and execution of projects related to product quality, process validation, shelf life, and operational efficiency. Create technical reports to summarize methods, results, and observations of projects for review by Technical Services Department. Coordinate with Production and Food Safety departments to ensure any and all requirements are met. Oversee personnel assigned to complete outlined projects.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Excecute experiments that will determine best specifications for a wide variety of projects and goals; including but not limited to packaging, new product development, equipment verification, process flow, and shelf life quality improvement.
- Work with Technical Services, Production, and Food Safety Departments to develop and evaluate processes for improving production, as well as identify and address any challenges with regard to product quality and safety.
- Validate and improve equipment design and function.
- Identify and make recommendations for opportunities to improve product quality or production efficiency.
- Implement inspection protocols designed to ensure Packaging meets designed specifications.
- Supervise and train any employees assigned to execute tasks outlined by experimental/production procedures.
- Use a wide variety of tools and methods to evaluate product quality.
- Use experience and creative thinking to apply different technologies to achieve stated goals.
- Comminicate findings of any experiments, either written or verbally, with managers.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to work independently is required.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and internet applications, notably Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Maintains and regularly updates standard operating procedures
- Familiarity (2+ years) with agricultural industry, R&D or Quality experience is preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Agricultural Sciences, Horticulture, or similar.
- Ability to design, conduct, and report on a scientific study
- Bilingual; English/Spanish preferred
- Experience or willingness to work with heavy equipment is desirable
- Willing and able to troubleshoot in fast -pace setting
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills required
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
- Required to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- The employee will be to required to stand; walk; crouch; use hands to touch and handle tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Generally spend a majority of time in a production environment but will perform job duties in a typical office setting.
- Combination of Cold storage food manufacturing facility (34-38 F) with heavy, sophisticated equipment, and typical office setting.
This is a full-time position offering excellent competitive benefits and working in a highly positive but demanding culture with our rapidly growing company.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.