Join the Stern Family!
Are you passionate about people, process, and productivity? Do you have a thorough understanding of routing, dispatch, DOT regs, and driver management? Are you interested in a true career opportunity where your skills and experiences matter? Would you like to be a part of a 100 year old family company, where fun still happens, and people still MATTER? How about an opportunity to grow, develop, be engaged, while developing a future that will help you achieve your financial and personal goals? Then join our team as a Transportation Manager!
Medical Benefits - Dental Benefits - Vision Benefits - 401k - Life Insurance - Vacation Time
We are looking for a dynamic individual interested in leading our Phoenix transportation operations, scheduling drivers, training drivers, routing, working with customers and sales to ensure our customers receive only the highest level of service…safely! This is a challenging role where you will move from early morning dispatch, to route analysis, from covering a route to managing the fleet maintenance, from pre-hire road tests to developing a new SOP, or round tabling with department heads to ensure our vision is aligned.
This position often requires working non-traditional hours (evening, weekends and holidays) in order to successfully meet customers’ needs.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, & Competencies:
To be successful in this position, the individual performing the duties must successfully demonstrate the following competencies...
Proven track record of success in the following:
- Delivering & maximizing results
- Problem solving & decision making
- Adaptability/FlexibilityCommunication & ListeningTeambuilding & fostering a positive winning culture
- Project management and multi-tasking
- Driving positive changeBeing customer-focused at all timesAbility to motivate, train, discipline and develop delivery drivers
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle crisis situations effectively
- Basic knowledge of computer programs and functions including Windows, Microsoft Office and routing/dispatching software/applications
- In charge of the all facets of transportation
- Interview applicants and administer a driving road test for pre-employment purposes
- Introduce new drivers to our company, and all associates
- Train drivers on the driving best practices, customer service, and products.
- Train new and existing drivers in proper customer service, efficient route driving, product knowledge, paperwork, proper customer interaction, department policies, safety and delivery driving ability
- Ensure cross training of drivers occurs to assure proper coverage for vacations and absences
- Prepare and maintain route packets to document information on each route
- Prepare weekly report of driver and route evaluations
- Review and act upon customer issues with the Fleet Department
- Responsible for daily 10 min. safety meetings for the entire Fleet Department
- Motivate and assist in maintaining positive morale in the department
- Assist in all phases of the running of the Fleet Department
- Ensure DOT hours of service requirements are met
- Maintain, update and audit DOT hours of service log books
- Maintain annual certifications for driver safety training and records
- Conduct vehicle appearance audits
- Conduct driver appearance audits
- Complete on area observations
- Complete DOT card and driver license audits
- Coaches unsafe and safe behavior of driving
- Work with other departments to ensure customer service is provided in the most efficient method
- Route all customers for specified time deliveries
- Schedule drivers for daily routes and day-off schedule
- Schedule all routes and route new accounts
- Responsible for effective and timely route dispatch
- Responsible for communicating with sales if routes are running behind
- Responsible for ensuring delivery special requests are adhered to when possible.
- Responsible for reducing transportation operating expenses to achieve company expense objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring service levels are met and exceeded
- Ensure afternoon delivery routes are dispatched appropriately
- May be required to run delivery routesPerform other duties as directed by management
- 3-5 years minimum warehouse operations management experience in a mid-size facility.
- Extensive working knowledge of shipping, receiving, fleet, security, and maintenance management.
- Understanding of budget preparation, operational efficiency metrics, and performance data management.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Must be available to work overtime, nights, weekends and holidays (as needed).
- Ability to move 50 lbs. frequently, and up to 80 lbs. occasionally.
- Frequent bending, stooping and pulling.High School Diploma or G.E.D.CDL Class A license (in good standing)
- Secondary education
- Bilingual (fluent Spanish speaker)Proficient user of Roadnet routing/dispatching software/applications
The Physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the human resources department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
- Stand for extended periods of time
- Bend, stoop, reach, push, pull, squat, turn body, and walkLift and move cases (selecting product and placing on a pallet) ranging in weight up to 75 lbs continuously to and from heights ranging from floor to knee, waist, shoulder, and overheadUse hands and fingers to peel and stick labels on cases
- Handle and feel objects and/or equipment controls; reach with hands and arms
- Must have the ability to talk and hear; hear warning horns on moving machinery and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required to perform this job include close and distance vision, depth perception, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus
- Must exhibit a high level of endurance, energy, and strength to successfully perform position
- Must be able to climb on and off the box of the truck
- Able to drive Class B straight truck (including 5 and 6 speeds)
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. regularly during a work shift and up to 80 lbs. occasionally
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment: computer, printer, copier and fax
While performing the duties of this job, an associate regularly works near moving mechanical apparatus and is regularly exposed to vibration and moderate to high noise levels. The work environment includes congested and high traffic areas, slippery floors, working alongside forklifts, single pallet jacks, electric walk behind jacks and hand carts. Walking and working is done on concrete flooring. Some duties are performed in the warehouse and will require work to be done in varying climates. Temperatures range from zero in the coolers to 95 degrees Fahrenheit or above outdoors. The shift end-time fluctuates with the employer’s daily needs. The associate occasionally works in high and precarious places.
DON'T DELAY... APPLY TODAY!!!
Apply below or Feel free to email your resume directly to Silvia Hedges, our HR Manager at email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.