A Staff Accountant reports to either a Sr. Staff Accountant of the Controller for Generations Farms and is responsible for the preparation of various financial documents, such as weekly/monthly/quarterly reports, financial statements, budget update and/or forecasting data, fixed assets and income tax returns. This position works closely with the finance leadership team, to ensure that all necessary data is captured timely/accurately for the general ledgers, in-order to understand how the company is performing against its goals and objectives. The Staff Accountant ensures that all their work follows Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Assist the team with the day-to-day, monthly, quarterly and year-end operations of the finance and accounting department. Examples are, general accounts analysis and reconciliations, including bank statements, fixed assets, payroll/benefits cost, and accrual journal entries.
- Support the monthly closing process as needed to prepare quality and timely financial statements, by gathering and analyzing information.
- Assist in data collections to set annual budgets, tracking monthly against budget performance and reconcile as needed. Prepare ad hoc analysis reports for various departments and company leadership.
- Processing of expense allocation, monthly accruals, amortization, fixed assets depreciation and recording of journal entries, if necessary.
- Work with the accounting team in processing of cash receipts, recording revenue and receivables to post to the general ledger.
- Maintain files, spreadsheets, and records with accurate information. Always being able to verify data, reconcile inaccurate data and answer questions. Stay on top of being able to research and interpret data as needed.
- Other tasks as may be assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated skills and experience in operating as a staff accountant in a team environment. Knowledge in data entry, accountant’s payable/receivable, bookkeeping, accounting procedures and financial records processing skills.
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheet and financial reports. Ensure compliance with acceptable standards (i.e. GAAP) rules, regulations systems of internal control and company polices and procedures.
- Strong communication skills in both the written and spoken word. Able to interact at multiple levels within the organization.
- Must be detailed oriented with excellent ability to analyze date accurately and think critically in-order to point out and/or offer opinions for improved processes and procedures.
- Strong ability to utilize various hardware/software formats such as, desktop/laptop computers, Microsoft office, Excel, and various general ledger/budgeting software packages. We are consolidating QuickBooks into Famous Accounting Software, experience with Famous a strong plus.
- Able to operate in a team environment with a collaborative attitude. Must exhibit sound judgement and professionalism while being results driven.
- Must be organized and able to work independently and prioritize workload, in-order to meet tight deadlines Able to multi-task with interruptions, in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to maintain Generation Farms confidential and proprietary information. Able to operate with the highest ethics and integrity at all-times.
Physical demands are that of a climate controlled office environment, with minimal physical exertion. Subject to prolong sitting, ability to utilize a computer. A strong mental ability with attention to detail and analytical focus. Ability to operate office equipment, phones and lift-up to 30 pounds in office filing situations.
Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting required. Two to three years of accounting experience required. While not required, a CPA a plus.
Generation Farms is a fruit and vegetable produce sales and distribution company with farming operations and processing facilities in the Southeastern United States. Specializing in farming and agronomy, fresh packed and processed produce and fruit, and sales, marketing and distribution throughout the eastern coast. We understand thriving, energetic employees are the key ingredient to achieving our goal of helping generations of families gain access to quality food. Our desire is to operate as good stewards by “Growing the ‘RIGHT’ Way" – with Respect, Integrity, Growth, Happy/Healthy Team effort. We are committed to the highest possible food safety and employee safety standards, and strive to promote sustainable farming practices. Not only a premier conventional produce supplier, we are also the largest organic vegetable and fruit supplier on the East Coast. Generation Farms’ success is driven by employees with the understanding we have the opportunity to make a difference regarding the land, the environment, neighboring communities, our clients, and the end consumer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.