REPORTS TO: General Manager
DIRECT REPORTS: Section growers, Plant Maintenance Supervisor, and Patching Supervisor
Responsible for cultural practices related to plugs and liners grown at the greenhouse site and for the growth and development of the growing team. Success is measured through continued development of the growing organization in systems, knowledge and expertise as well as specific objectives regarding quality, and order fulfillment.
- Responsible for the leadership and development processes of the growing team focused on plant quality, shrink reduction, and order fulfillment.
- Individual mentorship and development of the section growers.
- Responsible for designing and implementing production processes, technology solutions and techniques to improve order fulfillment and quality.
- Responsible to ensure compliance to all applicable laws pertaining to horticultural practices within California
- Responsible for greenhouses environments, irrigation practices, Integrated Pest Management and plant growth regulators.
- Collaborating with other Head growers and other company leadership in development of systems and processes to improve safe, sustainable and on time execution of production plans.
- Promote high moral, and team approach and an overall great place to work.
- Operate with high integrity, adhering to company standards and values
- Promote a safe work environment, upholding company safety policies
- Initiation of chemical and fertilizer purchases, while advancing our mission to grow the most environmentally friendly plants.
- Promotion of new ways to reduce runoff of fertilizers and pesticides.
- Lead growing departments in management, cost control, and innovation in each of these areas:
- Chemical, fertilizer and media strategy
- Biological control strategy
- Growth regulation strategies
- Section grower development, Training and Succession Planning
- Trouble shooting crop problems
- Build a recordkeeping database for all key crops
- Equipment use/adaptation
- Testing, lab and Internal
- Trialing and Documentation
- Maximization of labor efficiency developed through budgeting
- Oversee horticulture aspects in patching to ensure quality and order fulfillment
- Help to develop patching standards with the guidance of the Operations manager to focus on continuous improvement
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong leadership, teambuilding, managerial, and interpersonal skills.
- Positive customer service attitude and work ethic.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize for results within a fast-paced working environment.
- Flexible to adapt to changes.
- Possess an understanding of environmental control systems.
- Operate with high integrity, bringing one’s passion and pride to work every day.
- Effective time management with the ability to balance floor and office time.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field.
- Five years’ industry experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge on production of quality plant material.
- Three years’ previous supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of perennials and annuals.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Pesticide applicator’s license (can be obtained once hired).
- Knowledge of biological controls and IPM programs.
- Knowledge of ARGUS environmental control systems.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.