We are seeking a self-directed, experienced General Ledger Controller to undertake all aspects of the general ledger including reconciliations, fixed assets, reporting, budgeting, as well as development and oversight of internal control policies and procedures.
Oversee the month-end financial close of all job costing and reporting process; financial planning and analysis, budget comparisons, etc. Reconciling various reports and financial data, journal entries, and accounting staff supervision.
Requires thorough knowledge of GAAP accounting; extensive Excel and General Ledger systems knowledge; FAMOUS software knowledge a plus; ability to perform in a fast paced environment, and manage long-distance functions and personnel; successfully meet financial deadlines; strong verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual preferred but not required.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Manage accounting functions for a premier Agriculture company; develop policies, procedures and controls to ensure the integrity of the financial results including the planning, budgeting and reporting of operations.
- Oversee all aspects of Accounting, including fixed assets, financial planning and analysis, cost and some grower accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll through collaboration with each department.
- Responsible for all fixed asset transactions and capital project tracking.
- Partner with operations, to ensure accurate and effective inventory control and cost accounting processes, systems and procedures.
- Provide analytical and well documented reports for management team.
- Participate in the development of and support the company’s strategic plans.
- Prepare departmental and consolidated financial analysis and reports for presentation.
- Present financial information in “dashboard” format to Owners and Managers.
- Manage special projects including Major asset acquisitions.
- Manage relationships with key financial partners. Including, Customers, Vendors and Joint Venture Partners.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Maintaining Asset and equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and purchase and financing techniques.
- Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Oversee and direct the Information Technology function.
- Tax planning and preparation for individual and all forms of business entities, multiple property returns.
- Complete operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Protect operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Substantial GAAP accounting and finance knowledge and prior experience in a high volume food, agriculture or manufacturing company is desired.
- Proven working experience in the Produce industry.
- Energetic, knowledgeable, and respectful management style.
- Strong organizational development skills.
- Solid understanding of GAAP.
- Solid understanding of cost accounting, margin analysis and the ability to develop a system of management cost reports.
- Knowledge and expertise in FAMOUS.
- Ability to work independently and prioritizes responsibilities, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Proficiency in the English language, verbal and written and ability to communicate with team members and inter-company personnel.
- Knowledge and proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, electronic mail, FAMOUS, Google Apps and other word and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to work independently and prioritizes responsibilities, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex written material such as legal documents and benefit summaries.
- Ability to set priorities, coordinate multiple tasks and organize tasks.
- Ability to exercise independent professional judgment.
- This role will require travel to the company’s areas of operations up to and including overnight travel as needed (travel 0% to 10% of the time).
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Proven working experience as a Controller.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Experience with creating financial statements.
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process.
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills.
- Field of Study: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or equivalent is required
- CPA, CMA or MBA preferred.
- Experience: 5+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.