POSITION: Sr. Quality Assurance Supervisor
LOCATION: San Juan Bautista, CA & Yuma, AZ
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Sr. QFS Supervisor’s primary accountability is to assure the consistent implementation of True Leaf Farms Quality Management System (QMS), including the cost efficient operation of the all quality control programs, regulatory compliance, and maintenance of positive customer relationships. The role will also be responsible to identify, develop and implement continuous improvement projects to improve the company’s QMS.
He/She also has primary oversight for QFS training across the True Leaf Farms work force, as well as direction and measurement of food safety prerequisite programs (fundamentals) such as GMPs, allergens and organic integrity and preventive controls for pathogen and foreign material. The Sr. Supervisor will also have responsibility for new product quality input and program development (shelf-life and assuring measurements related to adherence to specification.) This position rotates between shifts, working holidays and weekends, and flexible hours based on business demands.
This position serves as a lead QA supervisor for True Leaf Farms (San Juan Bautista and Yuma, Arizona facilities).
- Lead facility-based quality and food safety continuous improvement initiatives and development of the quality staff
- Proactively and appropriately manage food safety, quality and regulatory risks
- Assure facility and products meet company, regulatory and customer requirements
- Partner with all facility departments to build a strong food safety culture at the site and assure that pre-requisite programs are effective for producing a safe food product including the implementation of quality programs for incoming materials and finished goods through collaboration with procurement, R&D and Operations
- Lead on-floor customer, regulatory, and certification audits
- Investigate production problems and customer problems and create preventive programs
- Direct and supervises QA Technicians and their tasks on the floor to assure adherence to company food safety polices/standards.
- Closely monitors quality and food safety standards in accordance with specifications and SOP’s.
- Reports QA/Food Safety major issues to Plant Leadership and manages corrective and preventive actions.
- Manages QFS metrics and measures and issues reports.
- Evaluates and understands performance trends in QFS programs and escalates improvement needs with authority and immediacy.
- Manages the disposition of products on hold as per program standards.
- Investigates quality control problems on the production floor and provides recommendations through root cause analysis.
- Works effectively with plant production, maintenance, shipping and receiving teams to promote adherence to QFS standards, provide correction or clarification and facilitate issue resolution.
- Develops and initiates standards and methods for inspection, testing, and evaluation of leafy greens raw materials and finished goods.
- Acts as the central point of contact for third party testing lab, raw receiving department, production team and shipping/inventory management regarding the communication of approval to release raw product for processing and finished goods for distribution.
- Functions as a back-up quality and food safety manager. Directly supervises the budget and cost of the QA department. Participates in daily operations meeting.
- Participates in hiring/terminating activities for the QA department.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Ag Science, Microbiology or a related field of science degree with minimum of 3 years of job experience (Same field). Masters or secondary degree in a related field of science is preferred.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of related experience in a food systems or food manufacturing environment with increasing levels of responsibility and authority; 3+ years of leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of fruit & fresh produce raw materials, production processes, quality control and cost management.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Up-to-date knowledge of State and Federal food safety regulations, relevant legislation, Good Management Practices (GMP) and HACCP programs.
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) certification required.
- Preventive Control Qualified Individual (PCQI) certification strongly preferred.
- Skilled at performing detailed computations and preparing detailed reports. Famous Software experience preferred.
- Strong analytical and project management skills.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred. Ability to speak, write and read English.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must have effective organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Must have ability to use or learn the Quality/SOP compliance software.
- Must have personal integrity, flexibility, dependability, ability to work within policy guidelines and to work independently.
- Must have strong math skills and be able to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Manage special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Seasonal relocation to Yuma, AZ (Required).
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. This is not intended to be a specific list of all responsibilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.