A. GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PRIMARY PURPOSE
Leads transportation planning, operations, and resources for assigned area of responsibility for inbound or outbound transportation services. Interface and collaborate with sales, customer service, operations and transportation providers to manage the transportation of raw materials and/or finished products in a timely and cost efficient manner. Direct and develop assigned resources to meet daily and weekly transportation plans and objectives.
B. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
• Works with transportation providers on continuous improvement or corrective action to meet or exceed service and cost metrics, goals, objectives
• Oversight for the day to day transportation planning functions and resources assigned
• Provide and analyze transportation service and cost reporting to Dole management and other key stakeholders with required frequency
• Source, manage, and develop truck capacity and develop carrier relationships to meet the growth and service needs of Dole’s business
• Determine and manage the balance between cost, capacity utilization, and service
• Maintain transportation service providers compliance to Dole’s contractual and business requirements
• Negotiate rates and capacity as required to support new or changing business
• Provide leadership in resolution of OSD, claims, and freight payment settlement issues
• Interface and collaborate with customer service, sales, plant and warehouse operations, and customers to deliver solutions and provide superior customer service
• Champion logistics solutions and process improvements in a matrix relationship environment
• Maintain expertise and knowledge with Dole’s Supply Chain and Logistics systems
• Hire, train and develop transportation resources as required
• Follow all Food Safety Requirements and cGMPs as applicable to position
• Other duties and projects as assigned.
C. JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skill And Experience Requirements)
• 7-10 years’ experience in a medium to large transportation operation inclusive of managing and developing resources.
• Experience with plant/manufacturing logistics and transportation in a consumer channel is a significant plus.
• Experience and knowledge about Cold Chain and refrigerated trucking in a consumer food channel also highly desirable.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, leadership and analytical skills.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Excel and/or other spreadsheet software.
• Knowledge of logistics, shipping/receiving procedures, inventory control, and least cost load-building models.
• Knowledge of quality management systems and methodologies.
• Must have the ability to make quick decisions and work under short timelines.
G:\Job Descriptions\Job Descriptions - Position Framework\Dole Berry Revised: November 2015
• Strong in multi-tasking and being a change agent for the business.
• Flexible to work extended hours weekends, and holidays as business dictates.
• Maintain regular and acceptable attendance, follow directions, interact well with co-workers, understand
and follow posted work rules/procedures and to accept constructive criticism.
D. ROLE COMPETENCIES
▪ Functional Expertise - Has broad and comprehensive understanding of systems, theories and practices.
▪ Business Acumen - Has in-depth knowledge of how own function integrates within the business. Has knowledge of direct competitors.
▪ Problem Solving - Evaluates key business and organizational challenges. Develops innovative solutions within broad company policies and strategy.
▪ Leadership Has full leadership responsibility for the division and its Logistics Planners.
▪ Impact - Impacts the performance of Dole Berry
▪ Interpersonal Skills/Influence - Influences the opinions of the team and others. Establishes collaborative
relationships with other departments within the business or external organizations.
E. INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONS
INTERNAL RELATIONS: Will be required to interact with employees in all functions of the business.
EXTERNAL RELATIONS: Will be required to interact with Carriers (negotiating)
F. EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Operations Management or equivalent work experience with
an undergraduate degree
G. EMPLOYEE MANAGEMENT
Will supervise 2 Logistics Planners.
H. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Must have the ability to stand and walk for long periods of time. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
I. EQUIPMENT NEEDED
J. WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
• Ability to work weekends as needed.
• Ability to travel as 10%
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.