Title: Employee Benefits Coordinator
Department: Human Resources
Location: Salinas, California
Reports to: Human Resources Manager
Tanimura and Antle is an employee owned Company and the industry leader of fresh produce for over 35 years. Tanimura & Antle attributes its success to our loyal and dedicated employees and our future is brighter than ever.
Our mission is to provide quality, service, and innovation by employees with attitude, ownership and accountability.
The primary responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Processes and reconciles medical, dental, and vision monthly eligibility and utilization, and follows-up with carriers as needed to address discrepancies.
- Ensures that COBRA notices are mailed to employee due to qualifying event, tracks COBRA payments, provides COBRA payments to Tax Assistant and informs carries of COBRA participant and termination dates.
- Initiates and participates in weekly conference calls with Lucent, Vision Service Plan, UABT, and Mass Mutual to obtain status of benefits, address discrepancies and provide information on non-routine situations.
- Completes applicable paperwork regarding applicable state, federal and Company approved leaves, while explaining leave eligibility, benefits, and process to employees.
- Informs Payroll of the employee’s leave status, follows-up with employee during the leave, coordinate’s the employee’s return with the employee’s supervisor, and ensures that medical related documents are filed in the employee’s medical file.
- Reviews 401(k) forms, obtains HR Manager approval, saves request electronically, submits to Mass Mutual via email for processing, and responds to Mass Mutual emails as needed.
- Provides weekly 401(k) wire information to Tax Assistant and provides follow-up information as needed.
- Monitors Mass Mutual loan and salary contribution reports on a weekly basis and takes action as needed.
- Setup and updates employee’s applicable benefits prior to weekly and biweekly payrolls being processed.
- Prepares exit packet for employees separating from the Company.
- Collaborates with internal colleagues to resolve benefit challenges, explores opportunities, provide information and answers questions as needed.
- Ensures the availability of accurate soft copy and electronic benefit information materials.
- Evaluates and reports on system efficiencies, opportunities, and challenges on a consistent basis.
- Ensures the distribution of benefit related communications to employees.
- Participates and supports benefits related efforts, such as meetings, orientations, events, and offsite activities, as needed.
- Takes the necessary action steps regarding benefit integrity reports.
- Travel as needed to Company locations.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education Training and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B.S.) from a four-year college or university and two years’ experience or a combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the aptitude to meet the job expectations of this positon.
Language & Communication Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the ability to communicate effectively in all circumstances, including over the phone, email and in person. Must have good written, verbal interpersonal and cross-cultural skills to communicate and work with, employees, team-members, supervisor, management, and external stakeholders.
Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions in English and Spanish. Must be
bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish.
Must have the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations and determine which option is the best suitable given the circumstances at hand. Able to troubleshoot and problem-solve.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e., PowerPoint, Word, and Excel), E1 and Internet software.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Promotes a positive Company image, and supports the Human Resources Department efforts.
- Must be able to maintain and abide by confidentiality.
- Must understand overall employee, Department, and Company priorities as it relates to benefits.
- Must be a team player with a can-do attitude and be goal driven.
- Must work well with minimal supervision, take initiative, be a self-starter, have a sense of urgency and be process driven.
- Must prioritize workload, track and follow-up with pending matters.
- Must have reliable, predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment, have excellent communication and organizational skills and great attention to detail.
This position requires the ability to work well under pressure, be flexible and meet Company goals and deadlines and may require working outside of normal business hours.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
In this position, the employee will sit at a desk and operate a computer, and keyboard; hear; talk; stand; walk; have visual acuity to review and enter data; have the ability to understand speech at normal room levels and on the telephone; and have manual dexterity to operate a telephone and computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.