GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PRIMARY PURPOSE
Under the direction of the VP / General Manager of Dole Berry Company, provide support for all Mexico, Deciduous and DBC agricultural operations business segments with periodic financial analysis and oversee special projects as requested.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Primary business partner to Mexico, Deciduous and DBC agricultural operations, helping to define their financial operating priorities and providing the business analytics and insight to drive growth and margins.
- Participate as a member of the International agricultural operations management team in defining the financial framework for operational strategy and priorities; participating in business reviews.
- Will own the financial planning effort for the Mexico, Deciduous and DBC agricultural operations. This will involve integration of many of the operating and performance metrics of the Field areas into financial targets.
- Will lead the effort to develop business case and ROI analysis to support investment in new initiatives: capital, business model shifts.
- Communicate key financial information to the senior field leadership team.
- Review financial statements and ensure their accuracy.
- Drive the monthly close process, ensuring the Company’s financial/accounting, International Financial Reporting Standards “IFRS” is performed in a timely and accurate manner per the close calendar and according to US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Serve as Mexico, Deciduous and DBC agricultural operations accounting business owner to successfully assess risk, and lead integration of finance applications into JD Edwards or other platforms.
- Partner with Domestic and International Finance/Accounting teams to ensure consolidated financials and forecasts are complete and accurate, and accounting is consistent across entities.
- Partner with business owners, internal and external, to ensure accounting processes are complete, streamlined and scalable.
- Suggest, plan and drive system and process automation.
- Develop, coach and manage team of accounting and finance personnel.
- Review financial fluctuations on balance sheet and P&L accounts at business functional segment level and support variance analyses.
- Review and approve accounting procedures, ensuring adherence to documented processes, and addressing any compliance gaps or internal control weaknesses for Sarbanes-Oxley certification
- Readily accepts new opportunities and takes appropriate actions to ensure the work is done; energizes team members to achieve timely results; sets expectations and empowers others to problem solve; demonstrates good judgment; facilitates successful and appropriate solutions.
- Partner with Headquarters Accounting Team to support external audit requirements for quarterly reviews and annual audits.
- Other duties as assigned
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skill And Experience Requirements)
- At least 7 years progressive related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Prior fixed assets experience
- JD Edwards, AS400 experience preferred
- Supervisory or management experience required
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel and Powerpoint
- CPA preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in Agricultural, distribution, and manufacturing operations is very helpful
- Strong attention to detail and a desire to assume new responsibilities
Requires depth and/or breadth of expertise in General Ledger and Financial Reporting disciplines, inside of all applicable standards – GAAP, SOX, etc.
Knowledge of best practices and how position integrates with others internally and externally
Ability to drill down to solve complex problems, and take a new perspective on existing solutions; exercises judgment based on analysis of multiple sources of information; leverages colleagues when scope of problem involves crossing organizational boundaries.
Provides mentorship to own team, and acts as a resource for colleagues; may lead special projects within Finance, Information Technology, and Operational Excellence
Position impacts accuracy of valuation and availability of company assets at all times
- Interpersonal Skills/Influence
Expert analysis, strategic viewpoint, excellent planning, written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work in team environment. Ability to communicate difficult concepts and negotiate with others to adopt a different point of view.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONS
- Interaction takes place with all areas of the company, from subordinates to Senior Staff, and to peers in the Corporate Office.
- External interactions take place with insurance providers, auditors, both private and public, growers, customers, and others.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
Education:B.A. or B.S. in Accounting or Finance, MBA preferred.
Language Requirements: English and Spanish is required, French knowledge can be helpful given our international relationships.
- Manage employees assigned to accounting and finance functions. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Maintains smoothly functioning department/work area in compliance with standards set by the company’s Human Resources Department.
- Establishes the scope of authority and responsibility for direct reports.
- Periodically meets with direct reports to establish individual and team performance goals to review, coach and monitor performance against goals, discuss significant operations issues and review staff training and development requirements. Establishes goals and measures to track the success of the department.
- Promotes teamwork among the Accounting and Finance staff to ensure work is performed in a collaborative manner and standards for excellent customer service are achieved.
- Maintains effective communication with all management staff to ensure coordination and exchange of information for accomplishing company goals. Gathers and disseminates information to all areas/departments regarding policy and procedures changes, and other important issues involving assigned areas.
- Analyzes the workflow of the Accounting department and continuously makes recommendations to improve efficiency and reduce cost.
- Conducts performance evaluations of direct reports and recommends merit increases, when applicable.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift (including overhead) and/or up to 15 lbs. Must be able to travel frequently as well as internationally.
Teleconferencing login and Verizon Conference Card
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
- Ability to travel 25% - US and international.
- Must be able to work beyond the normal work hours during period close week and final weeks of the budget cycle if required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.