Job Title: Food Safety Manager
Location: Oxnard, CA
For over 20 years, our family farms have been dedicated to growing some of the highest quality, most vibrant, aesthetically–appealing specialty produce on the planet. Our small–scale, custom farming methods ensure fresh, just–harvested gourmet products that taste wonderful and have a longer shelf–life.
We’ve earned a reputation for deeply caring for the land and for fulfilling the ever–evolving tastes of American cuisine. Grown only in the United States, Scarborough Farms produce is grown according to strict state and federal regulations. Being in the U.S. This means that our salads will arrive a day earlier, ensuring freshness.
We follow good agricultural practices to ensure that everything we grow is not only beautiful and nutritious, but safe to eat, as well.
Scarborough has an opening for a Food Safety Manager in our main office located in Oxnard, CA. The right individual will be solely responsible for our Food Safety Department and its success. Ensuring all required food safety practices are followed. Company goals and visions are constantly moving forward. Certified and experienced in food audits. Will be solely responsible to train and monitoring employees, vendors, suppliers, contractors, and outside growers. In addition, manage our 5-crew sanitation department.
Essential functions and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Specific responsibilities include:
- Solely responsible and experience with Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) required for our company facility
- Experienced and required to coordinate and oversee food safety audits including third party audits as well as in-house inspections of fields and facilities
- Experience with traceability and recall procedures
- Coordinate and collect environmental swabs for harvest machines, Value added and Cold rooms.
- Sample and/or document materials on arrival; check certificates of analysis, lot numbers and quantities and test against standards
- Accurately document and report test results in a timely manner.
- Develop and provide training and maintain all training records for food safety and quality requirements
- Make determinations on acceptance or rejection of materials based on testing, experience, and consultation with management when necessary.
- Oversee facility/field monitoring, verification, and validation while ensuring that all products leaving or entering the facility meet food safety and quality standards
- Develop and maintain documentation such as standard operating procedures and maintenance of manuals, policies and procedures both in the fields and facility.
- Update SOP’s whenever there is a change to program, process or procedures
- Work with all departments on any food safety changes, issues or corrective actions
- Ensure that the company food safety procedures are always followed
- Responsible for updating SDS files.
- Ensure proper sanitation and maintenance of all company farms and facility
- Traceability and recall procedures experience
- Required strong knowledge and experience of HACCP, GMPs
- Experience in GAP and LGMA metrics with focus in leafy green compliance a plus
- Experience in sanitation and cleaning chemical program
- Previous experience with Safe Quality Foods or SQF Expert Practitioner and GFSI preferred
- Internal, 2nd and 3rd party auditing programs: USDA and/or GFSI audit experience
- Experience with foreign material control
- Preventative maintenance a plus
- Allergen management required
- Food security and defense required
- Preventative maintenance a plus
- Must have ability to make timely, independent decisions and exhibit sound and accurate judgment
- Must have ability to communicate with employees and management and to communicate changes effectively
- Ability to follow policies, procedures and instructions and to respond to management direction required
- Review for completeness and accuracy food safety program documents
- Work with customers and vendors on requests
- Assists in training of staff
- Work with suppliers and contractors ensuring paperwork is complete and received on time
- Follows up on corrective actions
- Bilingual English-Spanish a definite plus
- Valid California Driver’s Class C. Candidate must be insurable and can operate a company vehicle is required.
- Ability to communicate verbally and comprehend verbal instructions
- Strong interpersonal skills, including strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel and work in remote locations.
- Physically able to walk on uneven terrain as part of field audits.
- Ability to work in an office and cooler environment with temperatures ranging between 34 -70+ degrees Fahrenheit.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently and manage projects from start to finish with no supervision.
- Microsoft-Excel, word & outlook
Minimum of 2 years practical experience in Food Safety or QA in the food industry preferred or qualifying course study in Food Science related field.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.