Director of Plant Operations
The Director of Plant Operations organizes and oversees the daily operations of our leafy greens, fresh-cut program. He/She ensures our business is well-coordinated and productive by managing its procedures and coaching its people. The area of responsibility for this role requires a thorough knowledge of various company processes. Strong competency in planning the many varied operational activities in the fresh-cut, leafy greens operation is required. He/She must be an excellent leader, capable of developing the most efficient ways to run the business. The goal is to safeguard and augment the efficiency of the company’s operations to facilitate growth development and long-term success. Coordinates and follows up on activities by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directs, supervises and oversees 100+ employees in the fresh-cut facility, focusing on packing operations.
- Provides leadership, coaching, mentoring and training while supervising and coordinating activities of employees.
- Direct, manages and controls all fresh-cut operations from raw to finished goods.
- Oversees the daily production schedules and communicates daily with the sales department on quantitative product availability.
- Coordinates plant activities through detailed planning with supervisors and managers to ensure plant objectives are accomplished in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Coordinates with the field and demand planners to ensure appropriate quantities of product are available to meet production requirements.
- Participates, updates, coordinates, and implements policies and procedures ensuring the company’s safety and food safety programs are adhered to.
- Develops quality standards and products specs with QA/FS and ensures products are produced to these standards.
- Determines materials, equipment, labor requirements and ensures availability to meet production targets.
- Participates in senior management meetings to develop projects which relate to the improvement of production lines.
- Ensures on-the-job training for new positions are conducted by supervisors and/or leads.
- Ensures proper implementation and enforcement of company policies and procedures.
- Develops, implements and updates SOPs.
- Develops, tracks, communicates and reports the operational KPI’s. Prepares and reports data analysis to the CEO and or management team.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
BSc/BA Degree from a four-year college or university in business administration or relevant field desirable OR over 5 years up to and including 7 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and proven experience as a Director of Plant Operations in Produce and/or leafy greens.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES and REGISTRATIONS
- Valid State Driver’s License
- HACCP certification strongly desired and Concrete knowledge of LGMA, GMP and SSOP.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Fluent in English and Spanish preferred.
- Must be able to set and attain goals, initiate action to resolve problems and improve products and processes.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
- Good listener and a team player with the ability to interact effectively and objectively with different departments.
- Good project management skills and written communication skills.
- Outstanding oral communication and people skills, with the ability to effectively interface with a variety of people at various technical and management levels.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Understanding of how best to work with and motivate a Hispanic work force.
- Strong knowledge of and experience in the use of MS Office Suite and Famous software.
- Experience with strategic planning and being a member of a high-level executive team.
- Knowledge of the State Labor Code
- Familiarity with OSHA requirements
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, customer service etc.)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.