This position is located in Castroville, California and reports directly to the Quality Assurance Supervisor under general supervision. The Inspector will perform inspections on all commodities. Work schedule will be Monday – Saturday, with variable hours as needed to fulfill job responsibility; Sunday and holidays as required. Travel and seasonal relocation will be required to our remote facilities and surrounding areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES includebut are not limited to the following:
The employee must be detail-oriented, professional-minded, and maintain a professional image at all times. Must be honest, trustworthy and respectful of self and others, demonstrate a strong work ethic and adhere to our mission, vision and guiding values. The Employee must also adhere to all Company policies and practices while representing the Company in an ethical and professional manner in all interactions with employees, growers, customers, visitors and government agencies.
- Respond to requests for Quality inspections of specific lots.
- Perform quality inspections for all commodities harvested each day including outside purchased products for California, Arizona, and Mexico.
- Rate products according to Ocean Mist standards, including additional characteristics such as weight, color, condition, appearance, packing, temperature, etc.
- Make recommendations to Quality Assurance Manager for cooling, icing, cartons, packaging and palletizing of product.
- Create inspection reports for aging, daily and raw inspections.
- Conduct daily pre and post-harvest field observations as well as shelf life studies upon request.
- Coordinate with Sales Department to verify delivery of incoming product in poor condition.
- Help prepare and coordinate arrival of product for exhibitions, fairs, conventions, etc.
- Other Duties as assigned
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or an Equivalent highly desired; requires continuing education in supervision, safety and other job related areas
- 1 – 3 years’ experience as a Quality Assurance Inspector is preferred.
- Ability to read, write and speak in a English capacity at a proficient level is required; bilingual in English/Spanish is highly desired; basic math and reading skills is required
- Valid California Drivers License, Class C, be insurable and ability to operate a company vehicle is required.
- Ability to travel and work at our remote areas - Castroville, Huron, Oxnard, Coachella, Yuma and Mexico.
- Strong interpersonal skills including; ability to maintain effective working relationships with Employees, Peers, Supervisors, Vendors and Customers.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Majority of time spent working outdoors, often sitting, walking, standing, kneeling, turning, reaching, pulling climbing stairs for long periods of time; ability to lift 60+ pounds without undue physical exertion.
- Office equipment to be used (not inclusive list): telephone, computer keyboard, photocopy machine, fax, 10-key calculator and other office equipment. Able to correctly use radio frequency hand held devices is required.
- Ability to work in an office, cooler and field environment with an average range between 33 degrees and 110+ degrees.
- Ability to communicate verbally and comprehend verbal instructions; requires sufficient sight and hearing to perform all duties; strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn new duties with minimal repetition;
- Ability to carry out defined procedures with specific instructions;
- Ability to manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal supervision.
The Company reserves the right to update job descriptions periodically. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
TITLE: Quality Assurance Inspector
DEPARTMENT / SITE: Quality Control / CAS
REPORTS TO: Quality Assurance Manager
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Regular, Full-Time
CUSTOMARY WORK SCHEDULE: Normal business hours, holidays and weekends as required.
TRAVEL REQUIRED: Frequently
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.