A career at Skagit Horticulture is challenging, rewarding, and satisfying. We accomplish our goals when everyone performs to their full potential while contributing as a valuable team player with others in the organization.
Skagit Horticulture is a diversified producer of crops sold to Home Stores, Independent Garden Centers, Wholesale Greenhouse Growers and Specialty Agriculture. The company maintains extensive production facilities in Mount Vernon and Mabton, WA, as well as in Watsonville, CA.
The Agricultural division is expanding production of virus and disease-free field transplants in the hop, wine grape, berry and fruit tree markets.
The Lead grower is responsible for all aspects of growing, care and maintenance of crops for the Mabton facility.
- Implement best management practices for all crops while striving for continual product improvement
- Manage product specifications that meet or exceed customer expectations
- Implement integral pest management protocols to proactively control all pests and diseases
- Lead staff to achieve department and company goals
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
A successful candidate will:
- Execute practices related to growing a crop, including:
- Irrigation management
- Fertility and media management
- Environmental controls
- Integrated Pest Management
- Record keeping
- Execute pesticide application practices in compliance with current regulations, as well as lead all pesticide safety training, all pesticide applications and all necessary documentation
- Collaborate with peers at Skagit Horticulture to implement best practices
- Participate in development of protocols related to virus-free and true-to-type status and ensure implementation
- Participate as needed to ensure a safe work environment
- Execute production efficiency efforts utilizing LEAN
- Incorporate automation in production and growing
- A degree in horticulture, plant science or agricultural discipline is preferred
- A minimum of two years of greenhouse, nursery or field production experience is required
- Reside in the local community, working out of the Mabton facility
- Competency in Microsoft Office®, especially with Word and Excel is required
- Experience authoring SOPs, KPIs and Lean is preferred
- High integrity and respect for confidentiality is required
- Bilingual English/Spanish (speaking) is preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.