To select quality suppliers in foreign countries and to negotiate pricing, delivery frameworks, and payment schedules in line with the company's purchasing policies.
- Overviews present foreign suppliers of purchased items, analyzing performance for continuity of supply,
pricing, delivery, and quality satisfaction.
- Keeps abreast of import regulations, taxes, and political and economic situation in suppliers' countries
to ensure reliability of source.
- Develops prospects for supply of company material and finished items by visiting foreign locations,
discussing price, quality levels, and delivery cycles. Obtains business and financial references of
- Recommends prospective suppliers to purchasing director for approval.
- Places trial orders with new supplier. Expedites import process as required. Monitors quality of
production, delivery dates, and satisfaction. Provides supplier with feedback report.
- Negotiates payment terms for cost of cutting dies and printing plates with new suppliers.
- Determines most advantageous payment methods for imported items.
- May visit plant facilities of foreign suppliers during trial run to new items.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or similar field.
- At least five years of purchasing experience, including trading and purchasing practices in foreign countries.
- Familiarity with company's requirements for type of goods to be purchased.
- Knowledge of several foreign languages and foreign travel experience helpful.
- Willingness to spend about 25 percent of time in foreign travel.
Return to Job Description Top Page